Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Letter for Today is H

Some of you have done this, already I really enjoyed reading this at Keep Talking. So I asked her to send me a letter. The idea is to use the letter and list 10 things, theories or themes in your life that start with that letter. My letter is "H" at first I thought "how in the world am I going to do this" but I think I'm ok.

#1. Hockey - my favorite sport. It's fast paced, extremely physical, and in my opinion more draining on the athletes body than most other sports. Some may not agree, but the season lasts longer than football, most teams play two - three games a week, and by the time a team has made it to the first round of the playoffs in the NHL they have played 82 games! By the time a team has reached the start of the championship game they have played three playoff series each one the best of seven games so they may have played 21 more games and then the championship game is again the best of seven. That's a lot of banging into the glass, falling on the ice, getting cross checked, slashed and tripped. Ahhh, it's a beautiful sport. If you are not a fan, maybe someday you'll get a chance to see a game where you see a beautiful series of passes and a goal where the puck goes "top shelf". Nothing in the world like it.

#2. Handcuffs, Handguns and the Hoosegow. I know this is three things but it's all related to my career in law enforcement. MFB and I are both retired cops. We spent a lot of years handling the first two and then placing people in the Hoosegow to enjoy the hospitality of the tax payers. We both have several members of our respective families who are or were similarly employed.

#3. Hospitality is the industry I currently work in. I work for a company whose roots are in the ownership and management of hotels. I enjoy where I work and I'm lucky for that. I know there are a lot of people who work at a job that maybe they don't enjoy and I think life is too short for that. On the personal side of hospitality our door is always open to our friends and we have some friends who when we first started working here but were commuting a LONG distance when the roads were bad they always opened their door to us. Friends like this are a blessing.

#4. Humor is what helps get me through anything and everything. Usually I crack myself up over something that I find completely funny and my friends might not. My humor is usually a little dark which comes from my years as a cop. If you have friends who work in any type of emergency services their probably a little like me. I love politics and current events and I listen to talk radio a lot during the day so you can imagine I'm very amused. I poke a lot of fun at myself here and so I appreciate you putting up with me.

#5. Hurricanes have had a huge impact on my life in the last couple of years. Not from personal tragedies, thank goodness, but if you were my thoughts and best wishes for you. MFB travels during the summer reporting on the hurricanes.

#6. Home as in "there's no place like". There's no place I'd rather be. It's a safe comforting place. We've been fixing it up over the last couple of years and in fact have another project slated for this Sunday. We've used a lot of color in this house and it's really the first one we've put this much effort into.

#7. Health is something I have and I'm thankful for that. I have to work on weight loss. Big time. I'm struggling with that. Have been struggling with that for years. Sigh. Need to start eating better and cut out the junk and exercise.

#8. Hospital (like you knew this was coming, eh?) OK I've never actually stayed in a hospital overnight. I've also never just gone to the hospital because I wasn't feeling well. It's usually accident related. Like the last time when I was walking around on a broken foot for two days and was sent for X-rays. How many times to the hospital I'm - why don't you go get yourself a coffee while I figure this out. Really 10 times? That's more pathetic than I originally thought.

Yes moving along, anyone still awake out there?

#9. Husband who is referred to here as MFB. A better guy you won't find and luckily has a sense of humor. He kind of has to being married to me. He's in the media obviously, travels a lot which works for us. You name a sport and most he's probably played. You have a sports trivia question you need answered, he probably knows it. Something broken in the house he can probably fix it. Does he spoil me - Oh Yeah. He's Canadian so you can imagine what it's like in this house when it comes to the Olympics and such. Chants of "USA - USA - USA" to "Go Canada Go". A little competitive maybe? No, a lot competitive.

#10. Heaven is where I hope to end up when my time comes. My Faith is what I rely on to get me through the tough times, and what I rejoice in for the good times. It's hard for me to discuss some things because I don't know how to put it into words, but I have Peace, Faith and Happiness in my life and I wish the same for all of you.

Now for any of you who are still awake, if you want a letter just let me know and I will pass one on to you.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was pretty interesting. I thought H would be impossible, but you did it!

12:07 AM, January 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - that was *so* interesting and enjoyable to read through! What a great glimpse you gave us into your life, your thoughts and feelings - I got to know you a bit better through this and this is great, absolutely! Thank you!!!

3:36 AM, January 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way - yep, I think I'd enjoy trying that letter-thing too, so, if you don't mind, please do send me a letter - but hey, no Q or X please ;)))

3:40 AM, January 25, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Wow, you did a great job, and I learned quite a bit too!

Hockey! Of course that would be in there.

I wonder if you could have used (Tim) Hortons?!

11:15 AM, January 26, 2007  
Blogger KnittingJones said...

Wow! Good "H"s! Sure -- send me a letter -- I'm game. Not fair that you got to use hockey, though ....

And ... send me that link that you posted about on the hockey KAL -- sounds fun.

11:53 AM, January 26, 2007  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Very cool. Ok, I'll bite...give me a letter...but a good one...not like "X" or something...the skiier is doing ok, actually went back to school yesterday--I think he was bored at home. Just got back from the yarn store were I purchased yet MORE yarn that I really don't need. HELP!

1:21 PM, January 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's pretty good for H! I have this weird love hate relationship with certain letters.

Okay, I'll bite. Give me a letter. Do I have to think of 10 things?

8:52 PM, January 26, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Just got internet back! That was really fun to read! I did the letter thing and my creativity is zapped due to the "outlaws", you know how it goes. Humor is one of my favorite things, and I've been told I have a sardonic wit. I've only been a banker, so I don't know where the dark laughs come from. I probably saw YFB when Wilma blew through here. You are one well put together person girl1

11:40 PM, January 26, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I could not have written a better post.

12:04 AM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little concerned about the whole walking around on a broken foot for two days thing! You gotta take more care lady! :-p

Hit me up with a letter, I'll see if I can come up with something good.

5:57 PM, January 29, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

Oh, I really enjoyed this post! Funny how you can learn so much based on a letter ...

Go ahead and send me one, I'll see what I can do with it.

7:41 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Barb, Haven't heard from you for a while....lost your blogging mojo?

4:51 PM, February 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home