Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Home Again

Thanks so much to everyone for leaving advice on my lace problem from my last post. This is a terrific community of knitters who are so helpful. When I first started here, I had no idea. You all are very much appreciated. I decided to rip the lace out and start over and over, and over, and over again. It looks better, finally. My center stitch does go a little wonky (that's my technical term for it), but it makes sense to me that it has to. With ripping it out a dozen times a couple times, I now understand how I need to count to ensure I have the right number of stitches.

Fluffbuff had this post where she described how she is working on her first lace project and put the instruction of each row on a card. What a fantastic idea. I probably did mine a little differently as I did the old fashioned cut and paste - scissors and tape. This helped me track the stitches and all of a sudden the knitting went, dare I say, smoothly. I was even able to participate in conversations, when knitting, on our trip to Scranton PA and Newark DE .

The trip was to watch our Penn State Icers play some hockey. I didn't make it to the game in Westchester PA as that was the middle of the week. They lost that game in a shootout, but it was a team they should not have lost to. They won both their games that I attended and the second game in Newark was the best I've seen them play this year. For those of you who only hear "WAH WAH WAH" when I go on about hockey here is a picture of some little tykes who played during the intermission in Newark. Even though they're from Delaware the Penn State fans in attendance gave them a standing ovation. Too cute.

I had a small stash enhancement on this trip. It was also the most unique shopping experience for yarn I've had. But that's a story for another day.

I work in payroll. Those of you who are not self employed know what you're waiting on from your payroll department at this time of year, eh? W-2's for us Americans and if I remember correctly T-4's in Canada. Some longer work days than normal and probably a Saturday or two are staring me and my coworkers in the face. If you think of me and anyone else who does payroll, think kindly.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

It's looking beautiful. I'm also looking forward to the 'unique' shopping experience story.

10:42 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Your lace is fabulous! I have to resurrect mine. It's so tiny! I always think of you kindly and hope the season passes quickly. Ugh-- the taxes are coming! The taxes are coming!

11:33 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good! I am glad the cards are helping. I was so happy to get that tip from a friend; it's made my lace knitting a lot easier. Not that I don't still get in trouble, but it's less frustrating. Next, I think I'm going to try lifelines, too.

11:41 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally adore your lace! Such projects are always a bit tricky at first, but when you get the hang of it, it goes so smoothly!
Yummy, hockey! I love watching the lil' ones play - here I usually get to see them when I get to the arena early, usually the tiny ones are doing a bit of practising before the big ones play - and what a lot of fun it is seeing them stumbling around the ice! I wonder which one of these boys we'll be getting to see playing in the big leagues in a couple years?

2:34 AM, January 17, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Yup...T4's they are. Still waiting for mine.

Love the lace scarf!

7:54 AM, January 17, 2007  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Hey babe--misssed you! You take your time with those pesky W-2's. I love the lace--have been wanting to try it myself. Ok, so I want to hear about the shopping experience! (do you like my daughter's comments on my blog--she loves "the Office" and quotes it whenever she can) Too funny. Glad you are well.

11:00 AM, January 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, we're waiting on my husband's W-2. I already have the books for the business ready to do the taxes. This is the first time in a long time, I've been ready.

12:33 PM, January 17, 2007  
Blogger Charity said...

Branching Out is lovely! Looking forward to the stash enhancements, and amusing story. :0)

Deep breath - it will all be over soon!

12:40 PM, January 17, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Yep - I'm waiting on those precious bits of paper too. I've already mentally spent my refund a hundred different ways. Then the computer crashed and all those plans got shifted back to next year...

2:15 PM, January 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great! I did that 'one row to a 3x5 card' trick, come to think of it.

Tell 'em to hold their horses, they don't even have to be in the mail until 1/31. Poor you! I don't do payroll but I do taxes. (There is payroll done here, but not by me. I hate payroll.)

One of my clients came in this morning and his kid's team won the Winter Nationals in Arizona last weekend! They were pretty hyped.

4:56 PM, January 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scarf is really coming along! :) I love when they have peewee hockey at intermissions. They skate better than I could!

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

6:30 AM, January 19, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

I think your lace looks very nice - better than my attempts so far! I write/type/copy and paste almost all of my patterns. I think it gives you a chance to "see" the pattern before you actually start trying to knit.

Oh, promises for kind thoughts coming your way, regarding W-2s. Just keep telling yourself "This time next month, it will be over" ... or, just drink lots of wine - that helps too! :-)

9:19 AM, January 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home