Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Amateur Status

When I first discovered the world of knit blogs I saw pictures on my new friends' sites which I thought were pictures of yarn stores. When I realized it was personal stash - I thought "damn - I am such an amateur." I had a small stash back then. I added to it with a trip to Maryland Sheep & Wool and with a few other trips, and the occasional trip to my LYS. Here's a shot of my stash at the end of 2006.

My friend Lori and I went on what I refer to as a yarn crawl on Saturday. We had hoped two more of our friends would join us but Kim was busy at the Capital and our other friend had domestic duties to attend to. Although she did surprise us and showed up on one leg of the crawl. I had a great time and this what I came home with.

After working with bamboo needles this past year on socks, I have fallen in love with bamboo. I dream of replacing my Inox needles with them, so here is a start and they go with the two projects you see. That's Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool for a lace project Zarzuela was kind enough to recommend to me. It's Branching Out by Susan Pierce Lawrence. Then I have two skeins of Tweedy Cotton Classic to make the Shopping Bag by Oat Couture. I picked up a plastic case to stow my dpns and then a book that has intrigued me for months is Shadow Knitting by Vivian Hoxbro.

Even though I have Amateur Status I'm happy with what I have. My plan for knitting from my stash is making a dent (I'm not saying use it all) in my sock yarn before buying more. I do plan on buying more yarn for lace knitting and for some items out of Shadow Knitting.

I had hoped to have one of my scarves finished this weekend, but I didn't quite make it. Should have one done this week.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am such an amateur, too, when it comes to my stash. I do need a better way to contain it, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing your foray into lace.

3:02 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Evidently I'm trying hard to go pro. But still an amateur. :)

7:51 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Kim said...

Nice haul! Sorry I couldn't join you. Hopefully next time. I love lace knitting...from sock yarn...consider that prospect.

9:09 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

I wish my stash looked like that, I would probably get more knitting done! I have some EV Silky Wool too! The right project didn't call to me yet. I also love Oat Couture! I always seem to gravitate towards their designs. Bloggong sometimes is pricey;)

9:35 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Charity said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I hadn't heard of Shadow Knitting before, and it looks interesting. I'll enjoy watching what you come up with. :0) Branching Out is a pattern I've been wanting to try, too!

11:38 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Marianne said...

Really nice haul on the stash enhancements!

8:54 PM, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the rate you're going, you won't be an "amateur" for long! Stashes have a way of multiplying very quickly. I know this from experience.

9:44 PM, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how quickly a stash grows, isn't it? I felt the same - seeing all the pics of personal yarn stores that others have at home I felt pretty awkward for a while... But suddenly, without me even noticing it, that stash grew and grew - yay for that ;)
Yours sure contains some particularly beautiful yarn, such a lot of goodies you've got! Isn't shopping for yarn simply the best?

12:58 AM, January 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOoohh silky wool! Good choice! I have some waiting for me to get it in Maine this weekend and I can't wait to pet it all the way home. LOL!

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

6:26 AM, January 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home