Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

I'm still here

I just haven't had the energy to do much blogging as my work schedule has been pretty draining the last couple of weeks. Thanks for your very nice emails checking in on me my friends, I sure appreciate it.

On the knitting front I finished the knitting of Branching Out about two weeks ago. I decided to try to block this myself, it's currently soaking in cold water in the washing machine. One of my friends from my Knit Night, waving at Billie, told me how to go about this. I'm very nervous about this so wish me luck.

I hope to finish my second Herringbone Rib Scarf from Li tonight and wear it this week and block it over next weekend.

Moving on to how I've been harassing MFB over the last month or so and how it lead to a .....well you'll see.

I've been none to subtle around home about wanting an MP3 player for a trip I'm taking to Arizona in less than two weeks. When I saw Carrie's post where she briefly mentioned a GPS that also has a MP3 player and I believe it also works with a blue tooth I thought hmmmm, portable GPS w/MP3 player - SAWEET. On our recent adventure in Delaware my harassment started to include the GPS. I've even enlisted friends to amp up the harassment. Conversations such as "If you were to buy a GPS any idea what brand you might get" or an email from friends in Canada "We just bought a Gold Wing but we decided to get one without a stereo because we thought we'd get a GPS and a MP3 player, any idea how much they are down in states?" these two instances in particular were priceless. Then during the Super Bowl there was a commercial where a guy is opening a road map which explodes in the car and I say "that wouldn't happen with a GPS" unbeknownst to me that it was a commercial for the exact GPS unit. He's been a good sport for the most part about all this - his usual retort is to send me an email linking to a Volvo he wants which has a GPS built in. I think a portable one makes more sense - for when MFB abandons me on the side of the road rental cars or traveling with friends who don't have a GPS.

What all this lead up to is this:

On the last home game of the Penn State Icers that I am able to attend this year - last Saturday- I decided to pick up a program for a souvenir of the season. In three programs that are given out there are "stuffers", if you will, saying the program holder gets to go down to center ice during the 2nd intermission to take part in a shooting competition to win a gift certificate. (You can see this coming can't you?) I open my program and I'm one of the lucky recipients. I immediately start looking for a kid who would get a charge out of the opportunity. As I'm looking around the biggest kid I see is MFB and I think of the charge he's going to get out of not letting me forget that I embarrassed myself in front of 1600 people - at least 40 of whom we know. I figure I owe him.

About 5 minutes before his broadcast of the game starts I show him the stuffer and I thought he'd fall over from laughing. He asks, "So, do you shoot right or left?". My retort, "like I would know". I ask him how do I shoot a puck and he says "right hand lower on the stick than the left and as you go through the puck turn your wrist over kind of like a golf shot". OK I think, I play golf, badly, but I play it. He says "try to at least get the puck to the goal line". Yes I know, I asked for that.

I didn't tell anyone else about it before hand. Why ruin the surprise - not him he sent an IM over to the arena announcer (a friend) giving him the heads up. Wanted to give him time to pick out the perfect music for me I guess, how thoughtful. Here's how it went:

They give each person two tries to shoot the puck from center ice down to the net where they have restricted the net to a small slot probably 8"x3" and the puck has to go through there. So I, in my tennis shoes step off the carpet at center ice, I know what you're thinking, and take a nice big back swing like in golf and hit a plastic bin that was sitting on the ice and that made me "whiff" the puck. It went about 3 yards at the most - kind of like some of my golf shots. All I could think of was "try to at least get to the goal line". On my second shot the puck made it down to about the goal line but it was "wide right". I know you were thinking I'd slip and fall but I didn't. Believe me the thought crossed my mind. Later he tells me it works better to wrist the shot rather than take a slap shot. Come to think of it, he hasn't really teased me much about it. As I say he's a pretty good sport.

Almost forgot. At my LYS Super Bowl Sunday sale I picked up a skein of Mountain Colors Twizzle in the Thunderhead colorway. I've been looking at this for several months but couldn't convince myself to get it until now. Why? 40% off!

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*laugh* I was so waiting for a fall. I don't have a GPS but I love my MP3 player. It's really great for walking the dog. Well it doesn't walk the dog, it keeps me entertained while I walk the dog.

So what was the music?

8:26 PM, February 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was starting to wonder about you lady! Thank goodness that didn't turn out with you landing on your backside in front of all those people! MFB would never have let you lived that one down.

Branching out is looking awesome already! Can't wait to see it finished. :)

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

9:24 PM, February 11, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh, those center ice deals! Glad you didn't fall though (I would have...). I've never won one of those at a hockey game, but did win a 50/50 draw at a Raptors game at the ACC.

I love that yarn! Beautiful colour...

Glad you're back.

6:59 AM, February 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not so accident prone there! thankfully. Sounds like fun!

I love my Garmin GPS but that ad! it was atrocious.

Branching out is looking good!

4:30 PM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger Kim said...

Branching out looks great! I do like the Twizzle yarn...what are you going to make? Have a safe and fun trip.

5:32 PM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger Charity said...

SO glad to see you "back"! I love the hockey storey - too funny!

Branching Out is lovely - it turned out really nice. I can't wait to see the finished Rib Scarf. And that yarn! Luscious. :0)

8:08 PM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

She scores! I was gonna send a search team out for you;)

10:28 PM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger KnittingJones said...

Wow! What a cool thing to do. I most certainly would have fallen on my ass. Did you swear like a hockey player? ;)

And as far as an MP3 -- I just found out the hard way that you shouldn't be using them outside when it's really really cold -- unless you want ear trouble!

4:06 PM, February 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blocking is a snap...just take your time and give it the proper attention, you'll be so suprised by the restults :)

7:35 PM, February 15, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Hey Thanks Barb! The square you liked was knit from the Mason- Dixon Knitting Book. It's one of the baby bibs they made.

9:41 PM, February 17, 2007  
Blogger Martina said...

Thanks for the comment on my Bkog! Nice to hear from you! Your Branching Out looks really good!

11:59 PM, February 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You *so* cracked me up with your hockey story - my gosh, I would have given a lot, a big lot, to come over and see you there! ;) But I'm absolutely impressed that you didn't fall - I mean, seriously, the first and last time I stepped into an ice rink, I almost broke my neck, oy ;( I think we'll have to meet one day and play hockey together - do you think we'd survive that? ;)

6:07 AM, February 19, 2007  
Blogger Lori said...

Coffee In BED
A sweet little boy surprised his grandmother one morning and brought her a cup of coffee. He made it himself and was so proud. He anxiously waited to hear the verdict on the quality of the coffee. The grandmother had never in her life had such a bad cup of coffee, and as she forced down the last sip she noticed three of those little green army guys in the bottom of the cup.She asked, "Honey, why would three little green army guys be in the bottom of my cup?"Her grandson replied, "You know grandma, it's like on TV, 'The best part of waking up is soldiers in your cup.


Couldn't help myself..hope you got
a giggle..Lori

12:27 PM, February 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home