Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Right yarn for the pattern

I am definitely happy with this Kathmandu yarn I picked up on my Rhode trip a couple weeks ago. This is Li's Herringbone Rib Scarf pattern, if you like it surf on over there and drop her an email and she'll send you her pattern, I like how the yarn is working up this stitch pattern. I'll try to get a more flattering picture over the weekend if we get any sun. This is my second scarf made from this pattern as I donated the first to an auction fundraiser. The first one was modified by cutting back one pattern repeat but I'm knitting this one without modifications. I may have to get another ball of yarn as I like my scarves really long. The more I work with this yarn and pattern the more I love it. Neither picture shows the beauty of the colors.

I have to motivate myself to pick up my knitting other than two scarves. I haven't finished my second Pomatomous Sock, I have a hat for charity that I must finish by December 14, and the evening bag I'm making out of Noro Kujaku has been set aside. I was making the bag for the usual company Christmas parties one usually plans to attend, but MFB's is on a hockey broadcast night and mine is on the Friday before Christmas which is a travel day for MFB and I to head up to Canada.

So because I think if I try to talk about knitting a scarf too much it sounds kind of like a play by play of an auto race on a oval track (he goes straight, he turns left, straight, left, straight etc...) here's some other things we've been up to.

We painted our boring white bedroom walls Egyptian Nile and this weekend between Penn State and NHL hockey games, we'll START painting ALL the trim in the room white. I imagine this will take us till the end of January to get it finished as there are two windows, doors to the attic and deck, hall doorway and closet opening plus baseboard. It took three coats in the kitchen to cover that boring beige, so this is a job. We plan to sand the furniture and paint it white and put up white crown molding. Our color scheme is the green and white with some purple accents - I know it sounds strange but the right green and purple actually work really well together.

Here's our other project from Thanksgiving weekend and it hasn't turned out nearly as well as we had hoped. This is an old cast iron tub without the claw foot charm. It has definitely seen better days. This is not our first home we have remodeled. Our last we had the master bathroom down to the studs and had taken an acrylic tub and shower out and put in a neo angle shower. MFB decided to refinish the bathtub using a product we had used years ago on an acrylic tub in a small home in Colorado. It had worked nicely back then. This time - not so much. Although the picture doesn't show it well, the refinishing paint so far seems hard as anything but looks like an orange peel painted white. Bless his heart. It was an inexpensive try. I see some serious upper body strength training over the next several months to prepare for removing a cast iron bathtub from a small bathroom with a small doorway. I better start buying up stock in muscle pain relievers.

I leave you with my observations on hunting season. You know it's deer hunting season in Pennsylvania when they CLOSE school for two, count 'em TWO days. When we first moved here it was SAY WHAT? Friends they don't close schools in Canada for the start of hockey season, or in Colorado for First Tracks (ahhh the memories) when your local ski area opens, but we close school in PA for hunting season. I still shake my head over this one. I could go on about this point, but I will spare you. We live on the outskirts of a hamlet if you will, locally known as an outdoor sportsman paradise. What were we thinking? Yesterday at 6:15am I walk to my car and in 20 paces I hear three shots from a high powered hunting rifle and when I say this is the closest I have heard shots around the area, I mean close. It's not even dawn yet. I don't have any problems with the rights to hunt but people this is the Duck and Cover season here. It's a good think that hunter didn't make me spill my coffee as I would have had the urge to hunt him down and give him a piece of my mind. There's not enough blaze orange in the world to make me go in there. By the way I don't think he was a good shot as I had heard three more shots while I was sitting in my car getting my heart rate to slow back down. That's good for the deer but bad for, oh I don't know, houses, cars, people, trees, and maybe the 2-4 of beer I'm sure he had tucked in close.

13 Comments:

Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

You've found the right yarn. It took forever for the sun to come out here so I could photograph my Lady Eleanor.

12:54 AM, December 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, hunting seems to be really big in your area, ain't it? Must be a scary experience actually, let's hope that all these hunters out there know what they're doing! Stay safe!

4:33 AM, December 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack. Hunting season. Stay inside. Use that cast on tub as cover so you don't get your ass shot off. *L*

I like the colors in your bedroom. At least it's docorated. ;)

Like the scarf too. :D

9:38 AM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Carol said...

I love improving my surroundings, a shame my hubby doesn't;( I sure hope those hunters have better eyesite that Cheney!

11:57 AM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Charity said...

The scarf is beautiful! You're knitting a hat for Charity? Yay! (Just kidding - my day isn't complete unless there's at least one bad joke about my name, and I didn't get one yesterday, so I'm making up for it :0)

1:30 PM, December 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the scarf...then again, I'm helplessly in love with Kathmandu anyway....

Good job :)

4:52 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Kim said...

I think that IS the perfect yarn for your scarf. You have struggled to find the right fiber for the pattern and I think you have succeeded. Can't wait to see it finished....on the 14th perhaps! Yikes, I have one more hat to do too. Duck and hide...that's all we can do. Doncha wish you knew who was shooting before daylight and have them arrested?! I do!

10:17 AM, December 02, 2006  
Blogger KnittingJones said...

I did the Hourglass from LMKG in Kathmandu and abolutely love it. I'd definitely use it again.

My DH is a hunter, and I'm a vegetarian! But we live in our own woods/forest and he enjoys venison, so I'm okay with it -- it's hunting for "sport" that bothers me.

4:34 PM, December 02, 2006  
Blogger Joanne M said...

That's unreal - hope you have an orange winter coat!!

Nice scarves... good luck with the painting...

10:16 PM, December 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They close schools for two days for the start of Hunting Season? And they get snow days. Bah. Why did I grow up in California? Stay in and stay safe.

Pretty scarf! I love the color of your walls. Niiiice. The bathtub looks fine in the pic, but I'll take your word for it.

3:48 PM, December 04, 2006  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Hi Barb! Thanks for your comments on my site :)

Ugh, hunting season?! No comment, but I do like Carol's Cheney comment, heh heh.

I love the scarf pattern - I have a scarf to make for Christmas, might be a good pattern to choose.

(OK, back to my President's Choice coffee!)

6:22 AM, December 06, 2006  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Great scarf! Good luck with the home improvements. They never seem to go easy. As for hunting season and school being closed, they used to do that where I grew up. My dad's a hunter and thinks it's a great idea. Personally, I don't think most people are doing it to survive these days so it seems a little out-dated to me. Then again, you never know.

Jessica

8:08 PM, December 07, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow, you've remodel houses?!!? Mine needs some work...;)

6:20 PM, December 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home