Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

A slight twist on tradition

I've seen many a post the last couple of days about Thanksgiving meals and I have to say everything looked and sounded so good. A couple of you ventured away from the quote traditional turkey dinner while most didn't. Twig's tradition is Sloppy Joes and Tater Tots! Twig wins the Most Unique Tradition Award!!

I totally love the traditional turkey dinner but I am also so into a twist on tradition and no apologies.
Here's my story: Last year MFB was away with the hockey team for a Thanksgiving weekend series (as he was for each of the two years before that), but before he got on the team bus he took me to our favorite grocery store and helped me pick out a FRESH 1/2 turkey breast and whatever else I wanted to fix for myself. Even helped me pick out some DVD's. By help I mean I ask "I want to see this one -have you seen it on a bus trip?" He says "Yes - good/bad" or "No -watch it on your own/lets watch together sometime" kind of thing. I had a traditional turkey dinner and even had my own bottle of wine. Don't think badly of him for being away, I'm happy that he gets to do something he loves with a great group of young men. Don't think badly of me for saying I had a very nice weekend on my own.

This year MFB is home for Thanksgiving. On the menu with a long weekend was painting the bedroom and refinishing the bathtub. On the dinner table menu was left over store bought rotisserie turkey, box stuffing for me (MFB has never developed a taste for it), a sweet potato for him, some gravy, green bean casserole, and store bought pumpkin pie. Over the phone earlier in the week Mom and Dad suggested a twist on Mom's fantastic cranberry salad. It's just whole cranberries sliced in my food processor then mixed with pineapple tidbits and no sugar added applesauce. I added a teaspoon of sugar because whole cranberries are tart not sweet. Mom's normal is no applesauce but adds mini marshmallows, sugar, and whipped cream. We have to be more careful than we are with sugar and carbs in our house. We enjoyed our dinner very much.

We were and still are thankful for our fantastic families, his in Canada mine in Arizona, our wonderful friends, and all the blessings God has given us.

I'm also thankful that the prep for Thanksgiving Day dinner was about 15 minutes and clean up was 5 minutes. Why? Why not.

9 Comments:

Blogger Zarzuela said...

It just goes to show you it isn't about the "stuff" but about the happiness. :) Glad you had a great day.

Jessica

8:09 AM, November 26, 2006  
Blogger Carol said...

I agree with Zarzuela. If every year were exactly the same, how many would we forget? Glad yours was happy!

8:42 AM, November 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your Holiday.
For the first time this year, we had ham. Weird, lol. I'm all for the sloppy joe idea, though. ;-p

10:40 AM, November 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's alot to be said for a 15' preparation and 5' clean up. :) You had a lovely meal and didn't slave all day int he kitchen. Smart woman!

I'm not much for tradition either and don't care for stuffed turkey so we had saffron risotto, sauteed artichokes, carbonized, oops, caramelized onions and bought a lovely roast chicken from Zankhou, our local Middle Eastern place.

12:45 PM, November 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I get a kick out of thinking of all the folks who get up at the crack of dawn making Thanksgiving supper when I have practically nothing to do. Sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving -- but I'm pretty sure it's blasphemous to not like stuffing.

1:13 PM, November 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb--Thank you so much for your words of sympathy. This is indeed a difficult time for all of us. My daughter was asked to be a Pall Bearer for her friend and classmate. I am dreading today and tomorrow and feel overwelmed with sadness for this family while at the same time joyous that all of my children are well. (is that selfish?) It just never ceases to amaze me how one careless decision can forever alter so many lives. I have been talking to my kids about the dangers of drinking and driving...and then something like this happens. It seems everyone knows someone who was killed this way--its so senseless Barb! Pray that this family begins to heal....

7:47 AM, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Charity said...

Glad to hear you celebrated in a way that made you both happy! BTW, how did you refinish the tub?

10:34 PM, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Carol said...

I'm almost ready for Christmas, but this is highly unusual for me. Just wish I could knit more.

9:47 PM, November 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely agree with Zarzuela! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday - all the best to you and YFB!

12:43 PM, November 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home