Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

First Lace

I'm calling this my first lace project here is Branching Out in the blocking stage - this was a week and a half ago. I have to say I'm happy with it - if anyone reading this is looking for a pattern to learn lace on this is it.

Here is my finished Herringbone Rib pattern from Li. This is the second I've made - the first I donated to a charity auction - this one is mine. I love this!! Soft, warm, lonnnnnng and wide. I can wrap and wrap and wrap. It's not blocked as I couldn't resist wearing it when we ended up having serious cold, snow and wind last week.

Here is how we spent our Valentines Day evening. I made it home before MFB and started shoveling the snow and when he made it home he took over. I made the coffee and a tasty beef cashew stir fry (I use raw cashews) and he gifted me with a MP3 player. Happy Dance. Yep no chocolate, flowers, or candy for me. You give me an electronic necessity and I'm a happy knitter!!

Why necessity you ask? I'm sitting in a hotel room in Pittsburgh. I fly out to Arizona and have to be at the airport at oh dark thirty. Last year when I flew to AZ, my carryon contained a laptop, a walkman, recharger, batteries, about 12 CD's, plus two books on cd courtesy of the library, a magazine, paperback knitting and five friends. There's restrictions on the size of carryons so the friends decided to purchase seats for the flight. This time it's me and in my carryon I have laptop, MP3 player, the good book, and knitting. I think my back will be happier than it was last year.

Last year was three hotel rooms, girlfriends car, my rental car, two houses and two airplanes. When I got home I was bragging to MFB that everything made it home with me. Then the library told me I hadn't returned one of the books on CD (unabridged mind you - $$$$). "Are you sure? I know I returned it", I said. They searched through two small community libraries for a week and couldn't find it. They hadn't asked me to pay to replace it - yet. Then two weeks later there was a message on my answering machine saying they had received it in the mail from an airline cleaning crew, and they had no idea how the crew had come across it. Man, did I feel guilty. On my next knit night (we meet at the library) I explained to the librarians that I knew exactly how the crew got it. We all had a laugh about it and they were so gracious about all the work they went through to look for it. I told MFB, Remember when I said how everything made it home with me? Well - I lied". I mentioned to the ladies at the library the other day I was flying to Arizona this week and wanted to check out some books. (Yes I was teasing). Oh airline cleaning crew? You're the best!

Everybody have a safe week - I'll try to pack up the warm weather and bring it back with me and share with you all.

14 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Sunny and 70s please. :)

11:46 PM, February 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Branching Out turned out wonderfully. I second the request for sunny, but could you make mine 80s?

1:58 AM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Charity said...

Both scarves are great! It's hard to decide which one I like best. :0)

Funny story about the cleaning crew - how great to come across honest people!

11:15 AM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Lori said...

I MISS YOU..hope your time there is/was WONDERFUL....HUGS lori

11:59 AM, February 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your lace is gorgeous!
Kudos!!!

- Jill

2:12 PM, February 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, I totally love your Branching Out, what a great job you did with it! Yay for lace knitting, the results are just so beautiful!
My gosh, what a lot of snow you got! I've given up all hopes for snow by now, it's definitely spring outside - after a winter in which we got exactly 2 inches of snow down here in the valley that melted away in an instant. To quote my special friend Barb: "Le Sigh". ;))) But as it is: Yay for spring!

4:57 AM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Both scarfs came out beautifully! Way to go on the lace... I told you you could do it. :)

Jessica

6:20 AM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Your Branching Out scarf is beautiful! Congrats!

A little sun would be nice...

6:48 AM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Barb--the scarf is beautiful! I say you have a real talent with lace. I was looking at the Lace Style book the other night. Things have been tough here...my beloved sister was just diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer (she's only 37)--I did not mention her in the blog (I said friend) but I wanted you to know...we are in for a fight!

9:42 PM, February 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, that storm was crazy huh! congrats on your MP3 player, and the lace looks excellent!

10:23 PM, February 23, 2007  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

I have a preference for that herringbone scarf :) but I've knit both.

I'm back from vacation and getting my blog fix in.

Li

11:50 PM, February 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No thank you! Keep the sunny weather, we've got plenty of it.

Your scarves look great!

What a fabulous crew, to send the CD to the library. Restores my faith in humanity, that does. Sweet!

7:11 PM, February 24, 2007  
Blogger KnittyOtter said...

Love your lace scarf and the nifty rib one too. :D

I hope you are having a good safe time where ever you are.

*HUGS*

9:28 AM, March 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not back yet????

10:06 PM, March 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home