Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Where did the weekend go?

I went to my usual knitting group this week and it ended up being a group of two. My cohort in knitting gave me a copy of a free pattern for a "Blanket Buddy" and here's my progress on it so far. I'm making it out of Red Heart Soft Baby. I've decided to do this for my co workers who are having babies in the "near" future. It's going very quickly so I can relax about having these gifts ready.

MFB received an invite from his friend for us to join him at a Minor League Single A ball game between the Spikes and the Doubledays. We'd never been to this ballfield and who wouldn't want to spend a hot evening watching a game, so we appreciated the invite. The local team the Spikes (mascot is the Deer - spikes being the small horns on a young buck) ended up loosing 4 - 3. The team's battle cry is Fear the Deer. That cracks me up. Ferocious deer? Not your usual impression, but when trapped they can be. It was a good time, we were in a private box and we ran into some other friends in the neighboring box as well. Here the sock takes in the game. We had perfect weather for a ball game.

This weekend we are continuing our foray into Faux (pardon my language) painting. Here is the stair well before and then after. We are very happy with the results.

I finally made it to my LYS for my pattern and wool for the Hedgehog I want to make. The store owner Molly was kind enough to gift me with 10 yards of extra wool the pattern calls for. I think she took pity on me for not knowing anything about feltable wool and gave me some pointers on what to look for and how to handle the wool. I'm excited to start this.

My progress on the Snakes Socks has slowed somewhat, but I am ready to turn the heel and will work on that a little this evening.

It seems the heat wave is breaking in California and thank goodness for that, but it's darn hot here in PA. Nonetheless, we were able to do some outside lawn maintenance. The grass is now cut and we dug up the Lilies that remind me of Thing. They had bloomed but they were even less attractive this year than last. They had so overcrowded themselves they were choking.

Update on my car. Have air conditioner, will travel.

5 Comments:

Blogger Peri said...

Wow, lots of progress this week -- awesome work on the staircase, lots of knitting (I'm curious, even as a non-knitter, to know what the blanket buddy will look like), the death of Thing ... and during the heat, even! Kudos to you, mon cherie, and your very productive weekend!

7:16 AM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger Dee said...

I've been following your blog for the past couple of weeks...'tis been ages since I picked up a crochet hook and yarn, so I know what it's like to have to reverse all of your bad habits!

You know, "what do you mean, I've been picking up the back stitch all along? No wonder my gauge never works." ;)

As for crochet projects, I'm in the middle of creating many, many sized motifs for a queen-size blanket, and making a very funky pillow cover for the couch.

7:46 PM, July 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Blanket Buddy is going to look so cute! These baby items are just perfect knits, aren't they? They're so quick and really satisfying knits - and they look so cute!
Ahhh, a ball game - I'm about to go to a soccer game this weekend and am so looking forward to it, I'm suffering from an immense lack of sports games these days! Bring on the hockey season! I still can't bring myself to knit at sports events, I'm usually so blown away with excitement and busy with jumping and singing and making all other kinds of noises that I wouldn't be able to knit much - but perhaps one day I'll calm down?
So good to hear that your heat broke over there, it seems here we're the lucky ones as well - this week should bring temps about 10 or more degrees C cooler than we had in the past 7 weeks - and mind you, we're all so relieved! Enjoy the coolness!

5:02 AM, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be watching to see what a blanket buddy is, and the hedgehog will be super cute, I'm sure. Keep cool!

2:20 PM, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The stairwell looks great. Y'all are welcome to visit us and paint to your heart's content.

What *is* a blanket buddy?

6:26 PM, August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home