Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Super Hero returns

MFB made it home at around one this morning, and it seems that his Super Hero Cape stayed safely tucked in the suitcase. Tropical Storm Beryl as far as Hurricanes go, was pretty much a non event, but it was a pain in the tush as it sounds like the rain, lightning and wind hit some areas pretty hard. Yesterday evening I was speaking with a business acquaintance who is in West Chester PA, he said they still had around 30,000 people without power and I saw some pictures on the internet of flooding. Last night my satellite TV signal went out at the same time I heard a loud clap of thunder and the skies opened for about 10 minutes. The satellite signal was out for about 5 minutes, and I never lost power so I'm pretty lucky. It rained on and off all night and stopped around 9:00am. When the sun comes out today it will be hot and steamy.

We interrupt this post for a bit of a rant re: television from the Chez Accident perspective. We have over 300 channels of satellite (only local cable we have here is 30 channels and you have to sign up for it at the local barbershop, yes it's a small town) TV and still there is nothing to watch at this time of year. I just worked about 50 hours this week, turn the TV on at 8:00pm and even resorted to try the Lifetime and Oxygen channels (poke my brain with a sharp stick please to watch those) and there was nothing.
On primetime there was choice 1: "The Unit", great mid season replacement show, saw everyone one of those, but it's like 24, heavy and it's good the first time but I don't want to watch its repeats.
Choice 2: "Las Vegas", I won't call it great, it's fun but I can only take so much gratuitous T&A (note to costumer: The female leads are gorgeous yes, but having to look at "the girls" after the second episode of the first season was only interesting to the male viewers. Last night's episode was one of the 4 that I watched during the normal season.
Choice 3: "Numbers", I like this show it's intelligent, crime drama and good acting. Wouldn't you know it? I had watched it during the normal season.
That was strike three so I tuned into a design channel and they said something about "Faux painting technique". Picked up my trusty laptop to bang out an email to the FCC with a complaint about "can they really say Faux on TV it's such a four letter word?" and then I realized it only was to this household. When I was tempted to throw things at the TV I realized I needed to get a grip, and resorted to the standby Fox News Channel which appeals to this households news junkies interest in current news.

Seems like my evenings have been consumed with things channel surfing other than knitting but I have managed to do about 2 1/2 pattern repeats on my second Snake Sock. I know I've said this before, but I have to say again how much I enjoy this pattern and this yarn. I don't knit as fast as others do, not sure why and I wish I could produce as fast as others do, but for now I'll have to be happy with my speed. It's relaxing and cathartic for me.

My LYS ordered a pattern of a stuffed Hedgehog for me and it's in. I have to try to get there today to pick it up. Two of my coworkers are having babies and I thought it would be fun to make. The store owner told me that it's a felted pattern. GULP. I've never done that before. Another learning experience is in store.

The British Open is on and my favorite PGA golfer Ernie Els is in the top five. Go Ernie! It looks like Liverpool is as dry as California and Arizona.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, it's the same over here in summer, the TV-channels obviously have a competition going on, who broadcasts the biggest s***. Argh! You know, I love to settle down in the evenings with my knitting and watch a bit of TV, but in summer there's just nothing that would be just in any way interesting. I managed to find some nice docus at Discovery Channel, but that's about it... Shame on them!
I keep reading about so many people in the US being out of power these days, what a horror this must be! Such things happen very, very rarely over here, probably due to the fact that we don't get such heavy thunderstorms - but I can only imagine what a horror it must be especially for the elderly, sick people and kids. Hope everything calms down very soon over there! And so great to hear that YFB is back home safely!

4:58 AM, July 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home