Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Surgery Update

MFB had his appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday and surgery today. The surgery went very well and he had two screws successfully inserted. He's home and has only taken one pain killer in nine hours. I'd say he's doing pretty darn good. PT starts on Monday so we are very optimistic for the long term prognosis. Will he golf this summer? I'm thinking probably not till next summer.

We both want to thank everyone for your kind wishes, prayers, suggestions of exorcism, good luck charms, blog name change, jokes and better karma. As Steve read through everyones comments, and emails we received from our non blogging friends, he laughed a lot and thought how lucky we are to have friends out here who care. Laughter is truly some of the best medicine.

It's been a crazy week for us as we're not used to the care someone needs when they are on crutches. Did I mention that he's tall? 6'3" to be exact, so when he wobbles on crutches I imagine him toppling over. He's very independent and always on the go and doesn't like to put his feet up until the evening. The boredom will probably kick in around 11:00am tomorrow as he's not allowed to go back to work until Monday at the earliest. Help??

Here's something I hadn't seen before - xrays are now digital. How cool is that! The surgeon was showing us the xrays and the computer imaging was neat. We're going to get the xrays on disc at his post op appointment - the blogosphere may never be the same. Speaking of blogs check out his pre op blog post for a taste of his humor.

Thanks again everyone. Individually and collectively, you're the best!!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jiminy! That was fast!

Man! He's going to be setting off all the metal detectors. Men will do anything to get out of going shopping in the mall with their wives.

"But honey, I can't go into Macy's or the metal detector will go off"

11:17 PM, April 12, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Maybe he'd like to knit to keep the boredom at bay... C'mon - guys knit too!

11:45 PM, April 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that things are proceeding well from a medical point of view and you also sound in good spirit, which surely can only help.
About the boredom issue… if I had my man at my mercy for a few days, I would have him do things I don't like to do myself. But you sound much nicer than me, and I bet you haven't even thought about taking advantage of your patient. ;)

12:05 AM, April 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its great to hear that everything is well. You'll have to rename him MFBB, my favorite "bionic" blogger... ;)

I don't think screws really qualify as bionic, but when I had my own recon surgery a while back, thats what everyone called me afterwards. It works....lol

Too bad he doesnt like to knit, otherwise having a mandatory few days on the couch would seem like a dream come true!

12:07 PM, April 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X-rays have come a long way (I work in radiology). You should see the 3D x-rays that you can rotate. Impressive!

Maybe you could teach him how to knit!

12:53 PM, April 13, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Digital X-rays?! Ut oh... do us all a favor, don't fill up your hard-drive with that stuff ok? ;) You two be careful!

In all seriousness, glad he is doing well. He's got a long road, but knowing that it will be good in the end is always better.

Jessica

2:24 PM, April 13, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Had to come back to say:

~MFB's blog entry -- priceless

~ The Toronto sun cartoon -- Laugh out loud funny (sorry, that's the Sabres fan talking). ;)

2:39 PM, April 13, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

I'm glad that things are going well ... now just don't let him hobble around during the nor'easter that's supposed to arrive this Sunday!

7:38 PM, April 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything went well with his surgery - all the very, very best to YFB for a speedy recovery!
Gosh, bored men... well, this is a topic in itself! Perhaps you should teach him knitting? LOL ;) CM is the happiest when he's got a PC with a couple games around him, perhaps some books and a TV - maybe that works for YFB too? ;)
Gonna head on over now to read his blog entry - again, all the best to him (and to you ;)

2:17 AM, April 14, 2007  
Blogger Icersman said...

OK -- it's time for me to thank everyone for their kind words of concern. I'm feeling pretty good, despite the boredom. Not having a dog in the playoff hunt isn't helping matters! My FB is really looking after me -- sometimes too much, but I'm not complaining. As for taking up knitting to ease the boredom, believe it or not I did knit when I was younger. My favorite mother taught me how. Will I take up the needles again? We'll see! Thanks again from the MFB!!! 8-)

8:51 AM, April 14, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh, that's awful!!! I'm glad the surgery went well.

Well, it is the playoffs, so he has no excuse NOT to be watching them! :)

8:42 AM, April 15, 2007  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Barb--thanks for the note-you are the best...sounds like you have your hands full...ahhh, crutches...yes, we have had them here ALOT! Just tell him what amazing upper body strength he will now possess...how does he feel about sudoku puzzles? I know if it were my husband, it would be ESPN, Classic movies and lots and lots of TIVO. Hang in there...you need to remember to take care of you as being the caregiver is hard work. I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

1:18 PM, April 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home