Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Saturday, April 07, 2007

The taller they are...

While MFB was at his LHIS (local home improvement store) enhancing his stash, I was at home actually catching up on some blog reading and planning my post on my DC and Baltimore weekend. One of the many thoughts running through my mind was "Cool, it's been a little over a year since I fell and broke my foot. A whole year."

Fast forward a couple of hours and MFB is up on a ladder measuring the cathedral ceiling line for the crown moulding he came home with. All of sudden the ladder slips out from under him and he falls 6-7 feet straight down. Between the two of us we have more than enough medical knowledge to be truly dangerous, so after convincing myself he'd be better off up off the floor I helped him to the couch. His ankle hurt like a b... well lets just say it hurt - a lot. I grabbed an ice pack and some anti inflammatory and we waited a few minutes for the shock to subside. The pain wasn't subsiding and the ankle said it wanted to have an x ray.

These are the times that I hate that we live outside of town. Even though I was driving through some light snow squalls, the roads were fine - it just seems to take so long when someone is in that kind of pain. The meds I gave him didn't kick in till we got to the hospital but to tell you how bad it was he actually let me put him in a wheelchair. Once the meds kicked in we did our usual cracking wise as that's how we deal with stress. Things like "maybe you shouldn't be drinking water, they may have to operate" (he said that to me years ago the first time I broke my ankle while he was drinking coffee and eating cookies at the nurses desk). Then I asked if anyone had cookies. Later I said "now the shoes on the other foot, eh? Oh that's right, it won't be on that foot for awhile". (pretty bad one there).

So later on the ER PA comes in and says "it's broken and you need surgery so they can put a pin in". Darned if she isn't serious. My prayers were answered though as it's not shattered. My initial thought was to operate tonight but they don't do that and he wouldn't have that anyway as it's hockey tonight. The PA offered him some pain meds but the meds we have at home were enough for him. I asked her to still give them to him and I would take them as he was going to be a pain in my behind. Again with the cracking wise

I thought his xray was blogworthy but you know how doctors are, eh? Here he is in a splint and it's so strange that it's on his leg and not mine.

Monday morning we'll call the orthopedic surgeon he prefers and hopefully we can get the surgery scheduled for Tuesday or Wednesday. Looks like I'll be his chauffeur (I asked him how to spell that and he said driver *laugh*) for awhile.

....the harder they fall.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh NOOOO! My gosh - reading through your entry made me feel YFB's pain! Ouch! Such things happen so quickly, and then the pain is there for so long - and having surgery sure isn't the nicest thing to have indeed! I have all my fingers crossed that everything will go well and he'll be much, much better soon - all the very best to him, and to you of coursde too!

1:32 AM, April 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's it; you've got to change name to your blog, reverse the trend, get some good karma!
I hope everything goes the best possible way. Good wishes to you both.

3:36 AM, April 08, 2007  
Blogger Charity said...

Oh, poor guy! I hope he's feeling okay, and that the surgery goes smoothly. Enjoy being the chauffeur for a while! :0)

12:25 PM, April 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OUCH! Hope it gets all fixed up soon. If he starts being too much of a pain, sneak the pills into his food and knock him out.

3:18 PM, April 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, bummer!!! We are just leaving BrokenBoneVille at our house and I'm so glad.

Hope the surgery goes smoothly and he heals quickly. Perhaps you should consider wrapping all of your extremities in your stash yarn for a while. Seems like your world needs padding for safety!

6:10 PM, April 08, 2007  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about MFB's all and break. Please tell him to take good care of himself. And, you too...I know we won't see you on Thursday evening but will be sending positive thoughts from the Penns Valley Knitters.

8:38 PM, April 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh poor MFB! Do wish him my best, broken bones are never fun. Though now you have an excuse to knit him some sort of foot warmer....so his toes don't get cold. ;)

8:23 AM, April 09, 2007  
Blogger Peri said...

Wow ... I can't leave you guys alone for a minute!!! heh.

So sorry to hear about (and see -- OY!) the injury. Please lemme know if there's any way I can be of assistance!

12:58 PM, April 09, 2007  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

Just when you think life is evening out a bit! Is this an opportunity to get him knitting?
Li

3:00 PM, April 09, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

Oh, sorry to hear about the accident. Sometimes imitation is NOT the sincerest form of flattery ...

I hope he'll feel better soon. Hopefully you won't have to be the chauffeur after any more bad weather - provided that it warms up sometime!

7:00 PM, April 09, 2007  
Blogger Deby said...

I will be praying for you both!

9:21 AM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

What horrible luck! Here's wishing a speedy recovery.

12:01 PM, April 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ow ow ow! Hope everything goes well for the surgery- good wishes for a fast recovery.

3:56 PM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

OMG!!! That's so not good. I do hope you guys got to the doc today and he's getting the surgery he needs.

And seriously, have you ever thought of getting some sort of exorcism or something?! We need to do something to change the luck in your house, pronto!!

{{{{Big Hugs}}}}

Jessica

10:03 PM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Poor baby. And especially poor you;) Sounds like the same kind of banter that goes on in our house. Fingers crossed for the best outcome though.

11:11 AM, April 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you two are the Accident Prone Knitter and her Accident Prone Hubby! I'm sending positive vibes your way. At least he'll have some playoff hockey to watch while he's recuperating - sadly, no Avs, though. Knitting will help to pass those long hours in the hospital/doctor's office for you. Take care... both of you!

2:37 PM, April 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! You're contagious! And the poor man caught it. I hope he's feeling better soon!

That would totally be us at the hospital cracking wise. It's the only way we deal.

That is one gorgeous scarf out of the Lorna Laces too.

6:34 PM, April 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home