Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Finished Pomatomus Socks

Right I finally finished them, they're not pretty but finished they are. See what I mean. I started these back in September and picked them up again about a month ago. Maybe my tension changed or I can't count pattern repeats. This certainly lets me know something I need to work on. Oh well - the socks are for me and I don't think the difference in height is going to bother me - much. I'm going to wear them in a couple days so I'll see how I feel about them then.


I've been working some ghastly hours over the last couple of weeks, but work may start getting back to a more normal routine later this week. In order to recharge our batteries MFB and I headed down to Lancaster PA for the weekend. We had a blast and great weather and even found a small restaurant between Intercourse and Bird In Hand (those are names of farming communities with a large population of the Amish) where we watched the cows grazing. On the trip down we stopped at Knitters Dream outside of Harrisburg and I picked up a small Laurel Burch bag. Jessica gave me the idea as she had picked one up when we were there together back in March. It's going to be perfect to take sock projects on the road.


I can't decide which sock yarn and pattern to use for the start of Summer of Socks 2007 so I am doing some research. In the meantime, I picked up a WIP I started several months ago and ripped it out and started over. I'm using Noro Kujaku Color #5 and am making an evening bag. Originally I cast on over 200 stitches, this time it's about 120 stitches. It's fast going being as it is just (edited) stockinette garter stitch. This yarn is 85% Wool and 15% Polyester. Can't say I'm overly fond of the feel of it but it's a good project to be working on to tide me over till the SOS.

It's a good thing MFB is no longer in need of cane or crutches, because I've taken over use of his cane. Yes somehow I've done it again. Injured a tendon on the bottom of my foot and hopefully I'll be limping around for only another week. If you want to see what I think is a real cool xray showing screws in MFB's ankle click here.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

Yikes, limping again?

The P socks are really nice - too bad about the old tension thing. :0)

2:42 AM, June 13, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

I think it was tension - mine always changes when I let socks go for a while.

Oh brother, I can see now that the word verification thing for this comment will be a doozie. Why not use fonts that don't get all squeezed together???

8:25 AM, June 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure that the socks are the same length. You just have one leg that's longer than the other. If I were you, I'd contact a surgeon ASAP.

11:21 AM, June 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That doesn't look all that better to me. Screws? But then again, better than no screws. Cool Xray indeed.

The socks are very pretty! I didn't even notice the height descrepancy until you pointed it out.

Of course you're borrowing his cane.

1:45 PM, June 13, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

I keep saying it, can't take you anywhere! Can't even leave you home;) You got some great knit going there and I love that new bag of yours! The screws kinda made me a little queasy, yikes! I sure do miss the food up through Amish country.

2:11 PM, June 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also had problems with socks on occasion, because I knit each one separately. My way of dealing with this now is to compare the socks visually instead of counting rows as I used to, so when the second sock is about the same visual length as the first one, I start working the heel.
I don't have a solution for fixing finished socks, though. :(

6:48 PM, June 13, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh, the sock tension thing haunts me too... but I wouldn't have noticed had you not pointed it out. I think they look great!! Socks should be bright and cheery.

(I must be one of the only knitters I know who hasn't tried the Pomatamus socks yet...)

7:59 AM, June 15, 2007  
Blogger KnittingJones said...

Oh man! At least your feets are well dressed. And I like Twig's suggestion!

10:17 AM, June 15, 2007  
Blogger Martina said...

I guess that explains the discrepency while you were knitting the 2nd sock! Just bend one knee to make the socks seem the same!

11:07 PM, June 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, Barb! My gosh, this sounds so painful once more - do get better very, very soon, will you? And don't do this ever again - no limps, no broken bones, no pain... fingers crossed!
Adorable Jaywalkers - seeing these certainly inspired me to knit another pair of them, this pattern just rocks big time. And that Noro you're working with - awesome, absolutely!

2:14 AM, June 17, 2007  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

Meh, it's not like you'll be wearing them with shorts or a mini-skirt. They'll look great with pants and we'll be none the wiser,
Li

4:59 AM, June 17, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Very happy to provide a smile:)

12:31 PM, June 17, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

I think the socks look great. Unless you are wearing them where the tops will show, maybe it won't bother you if they are different heights ...

(I skipped the x-rays. I don't even like seeing my own ...)

9:06 AM, June 18, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

The P socks are so pretty (despite the length difference)! Enjoy your little kitty pouch. Mine always makes me smile when I pull it out because I get to remember our fun trip to the yarn shop. :)

Jessica

9:12 AM, June 18, 2007  
Blogger Deby said...

I love the socks and when I squint my eyes and tilt my head they are even! Besides you wear pants with these babies and all is well.
The pattern looks great too!

9:15 AM, June 19, 2007  
Blogger Kathleen said...

BARB----your socks are GORGEOUS!! I am so jealous...as my P socks are still on needles buried underneath all my current WIP's! I am so proud of you....hey, I had to put up some blockers on my comments page...I keep having this complete weirdo leaving me this really weird messages...kinda creepy--hope your summer is going well. Kisses.

10:37 AM, June 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are still cute. ;^)

So you are in SoS too. YAY!!!

Whatcha dedcide to start on?

*OtterHuggles*

10:28 AM, June 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home