Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival

Whew. How strange life is when the shoe (or cast) is on the other foot. MFB has graduated to using a cane instead of crutches and has a lot more freedom. He changed the spark plugs on my car and did some "puttering" outdoors so he's happy to feel his independence returning. He's still feeling my hovering which frustrates the heck out of him, but we're gradually moving back to a normal existence.

So much so, that he insisted I go to Maryland Sheep and Wool. Well since he insisted ..

Saturday morning I was on a charter bus arranged by my LYS and the bus could not get there fast enough. I was surrounded by good friends and new friends. Two of whom I know better than the others kept me company for about the first hour and then they took a nap. Me, no. Picture the commercial with the two little kids trying to sleep the night before going to a large amusement park known for the Mouse but "I can't, I'm too excited!". MP3 player and knitting to the rescue. One of my traveling companions was knitting socks from Tofutsies, which I have been wondering about. It felt so smooth, that I added that to my small list of must finds. Before we exited the bus, our trip organizer gave us the same wise crack as last year. Don't buy a sheep or a rabbit.

My friend Lori had suggested a couple places to go and so we thought we'd hang together for a short time. First stop - the dreaded t-shirt line. I didn't pick up a shirt last year and had regretted it. I didn't realize there was more than t-shirts! Along with my shirt I got a bucket hat and mouse pad. While waiting to pay Jessica called and she came over to meet up with me. I was really excited to meet up with her again as I so enjoyed our time together in March. Once Lori and I paid for our things, Jessica confirmed our thought that the line across the way was for STR. This was the first item on my list and away we went. Jessica kept us company while we stood in line to pay and actually took a picture of the three of us and as she relates - I do believe this is the first pix of me on the web. Jessica rocks on doing the self portrait thing doesn't she?

Lori took off on her own, and Jessica and I caught up for a little more and then she was off to meet up with others with plans for us to meet up later. Away I went to explore. I found the Tofutsies I wanted, and then at Lori's suggestion off to Tess Designs and bought, yes sock yarn. Then off to find some Koigu. The rumor was that the special Koigu vendor wasn't there due to a broken leg. There was a good deal of sympathy being expressed for the poor thing, and then funny comments about how there seems to be a lot of leg injuries lately with pointed looks (Lori) sent my way.

I treated myself to a lime fizz and headed out for where I thought the knitbloggers meet up would be in hopes to meet up with Bridget. I asked several people if they were she, with no luck. Later on I found out that there was some confusion about where the meet up was and so we missed one another. I met up with Jessica again and she introduced me to Kim, Risa and Risa's shy daughter Kat. Fun times.

By this time I had procured everything I came for. Not ready to head for the bus, I headed back out under the darkening and rumbling skies to explore. I found a tent that wasn't too crowded and wandered and found something special. Told myself, I already have everything I came for and walked about 20 yards away. All of a sudden I was back inside the tent. Asked how much it was and walked out not more than 20 paces when again, all of a sudden I'm back inside the tent and out I walked with it. This isn't lace weight and they only had 200 yards, but I'm thinking something delicate (which I am not). Lori suggested some Victorian looking wrist cuffs with buttons. That sounds promising.

Are you still here? OK then I know you might not believe this as I didn't think to break out the camera but..

While loading up our bus we saw two women lead a sheep to a charter bus with New Jersey plates on it. In the luggage compartment of the bus sat a dog crate. This I did not want to see. What we ended up seeing was the sheep being led up the stairs to join the passengers of the bus. Then the bus took off. I can only assume that the bus was headed to NJ. Probably a long drive, eh? Probably a smelly, noisy drive. If you don't believe me check out Kim and Roberta's blogs.That's everything I came home with.

A very memorable day, spent with terrific people - my day couldn't have been any nicer. Made all the more special because my husband is healing faster than I had imagined.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a good time -- and quite a haul you've got there!

It's nice to finally put a face to your typing.

12:46 AM, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Charity said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Love all the new yarn! :0)

2:10 AM, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Thea said...

It looks like your pocketbook survived better than mine. This was my first year going and I think it will be an everyother year habit.

6:12 AM, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Looks like you managed to find some great yarn! :) It was great meeting up with you again.

Now about the sheep on the bus. Did *no one* get a picture of this?!?! I may have to do some googling....

Jessica

11:42 AM, May 09, 2007  
Blogger emilyelizabeth said...

Oh look at you! All that fabulous swag. Love love love the sock yarn. Any prospects on what you're going to make with it?

2:39 PM, May 09, 2007  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

It was great meeting you at the festival.

3:07 PM, May 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Celtic Lace is gorgeous! Cuffs would work! Pretty.

Really? A sheep on the bus? lol.

And so nice of MFB to insist.

5:25 PM, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

You found some real goodies!

I can't believe we missed each other, I kept asking for you too. One woman was really annoyed, when I asked if she was Barb, and replied very snippily, "Well of course not! Why would you think my name was Barb??"

Geez.

8:33 PM, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Thea said...

I flew to Baltimore friday evening and back home sunday afternoon. You asked about my kitchen cabinets. They came from Home Depot and were flat in a box and we put them together and installed them. I can't remember the brand, but I really like them and putting them together was sort-of like Legos on a big scale.

6:33 AM, May 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great way to spend the day (tinge of jealousy here). That sheep story, though… I can't believe someone would try to put a sheep or a dog in the luggage compartment of a bus. What kind of people are they letting out of the asylums these days?

12:02 PM, May 10, 2007  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm so glad you were able to go. We did have fun, didn't we?

5:34 PM, May 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome times it seems you've had - and woah, what a yummy yarn haul! Great! Best wishes to YFB!

3:39 AM, May 11, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

I cannot believe she would try to load that poor sheep in the compartment of a BUS! Poor thing...

Oh, you did well! And what restraint! Glad to hear hubby is making progress.

8:08 AM, May 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home