Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Decompressing

Where has the summer gone in the APK household? Mine has been drowned in work hours due to a staffing shortage and special projects on top of my usual duties. I'm lucky as I enjoy my job, but I'd say I was close to burnout. Luckily things started letting up a bit this past week, and by the end of this upcoming week things will be settling down.

MFB definitely handles more than his share of the domestic duties normally, and during the last couple of months has taken on 99.9%. Thanks for looking after me and things this summer MFB, you're one in a million!!

OK my knitting friends - thanks for all the compliments on the start of the Monkey Socks from the last post, and I'm sorry I didn't thank you all personally via an email or kept up with you all. That should be changing over this weekend though, as I am currently sitting on the deck with my MP3 player (Bob Seger at the moment Old Time Rock & Roll), glass of orange juice and club soda, house phone and cell phone. The phones are with me so that I don't have to leave the fresh air. Nothing better than the fresh air and sunshine (today very overcast though) to recharge.

I finished the first Monkey Sock last week and took it with me to my knitting group. I have a feeling a few other ladies are going to be looking for some of this Tess Designs yarn as it truly is a joy to the touch and wonderfully dyed. I'm currently working on the ribbing of the second sock.

Tide to Go® to Grove City --

I have to tell you a quick story of a weekend away last month with a little fiber at the end. Our best friends live in Canada and so of course we don't get to see them often, but we made special plans to meet in Grove City PA. It seems Canadians flock here as most of the cars we saw had Ontario plates. Why that tourist hotspot? (snerk) Outlet Mall shopping of course. My girlfriend (I'll call her B) is in her final year of residency and our spouses know when their spouses are working hard and the going is rough, the tough go shopping. I was wearing white pants and during one of our rest the tootsies breaks, must have sat on something. We didn't realize this until I made a restroom break after lunch where B tells me "you have something on your arse". No worries, I have Tide to Go® My attempt to remove the item was decent, but my friend the doctor decided this required the expertise of an MD. We were in luck, there was a forlorn looking folding chair in the large sized restroom and so she sits down and all of a sudden I see the doctor in her. I'm told to "bend over". So here I am with my dainty white pant clad behind sticking in her face and she's operating. Anyone with a camera? I hope not. Ladies are walking by doing their best to ignore, but one looked particularly surprised. Now my friend and I are not what our spouses would call shy. I looked at this lady and said, "Don't worry, she's a doctor," and B says, "You wouldn't believe the things I've seen!!" Priceless. The weekend was unforgettable and exactly what the four of us needed.

There was a yarn store there I wanted to visit but I think the store I found wasn't the one I was looking for. I think what I found was a more of a gift shop, and it was CLOSED on a Saturday for a family reunion. Couldn't have been a yarn store, eh?

So here's the fiber. We return home from a fantastic weekend with our Canadian friends, and in the mailbox is a package from a new Canadian friend I've met. First at her blog, and then in person when I stopped in Kniterary, the yarn store she just recently purchased in Whitby Ontario. She sent me a lovely note and this terrific Canadian sockyarn which is 74% Superwash Merino and 25% Nylon in Winter Skies colorway, which was dyed exclusively for her shop. I was admiring it when I stopped in her shop but didn't purchase it. Thanks so much Martina, it was such a wonderful surprise. I plan on starting this on the first day of winter. It will remind me of the warm greeting you gave me in your totally cool (I love your store) shop!

Next post could be a bit longer - stories of why I'm currently haunted by the number three. Oh - and pictures of stash enhancement, because even though I've been working, I've been shopping.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Martina said...

Hey there! You are welcome for the sock yarn! Yes, I did get your note but as per usual I was remiss in letting you know. I am so glad you like it! Try not to work TOO hard! I do love your Monkey Socks too!

6:12 PM, July 28, 2007  
Blogger Charity said...

Oh my goodness, I don't know how you've kept up with things! I'm glad to hear things are slowing down a bit now, soon it will be time to settle in for fall knitting! :0)

6:44 PM, July 28, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Love that Winter Skies yarn! A very nice gift indeed. :)

7:39 PM, July 28, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Sometimes too much work can be good. Work=pay=shopping! Yep, that balances :) Nice to see you back!

8:48 AM, July 29, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

Barb, I was beginning to think you had been swallowed up by your stash or something! Glad to know you had a fun break from work with your friends.

Those Monkey socks are going to be great.

9:55 AM, July 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Barb, you have GOT to stop introducing me to gorgeous sock yarns! Fortunately or rather frustratingly, neither the Tess Sock Yarn nor the sock yarn from the Canadian store appear to be easily available during the web, so maybe I will have to start working my way through my new already-here stash of luxury sock yarns. So glad to spend time with you again on Thursday.

8:33 PM, July 29, 2007  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Working and shopping sounds like a nice balance! Outlet malls. Those Canadians. ;)

That must've been hilarious with you and B playing doctor. It would so be blog fodder for me.

9:24 PM, July 29, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh, what a beautiful colourway! Lovely lavender and greys? You're so lucky. Must check her out.

So glad things are calming down a bit. When are you next planning on coming up?

6:59 AM, July 30, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Yay you posted! The first monkey looks great! Hilarious story too! I can just imagine the looks you guys got. Love the new yarn too. :)

Hope work continues to chill so you can too!

Jessica

11:10 AM, July 30, 2007  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

Oh yes, that combination of outlet mall and a stronger Cdn dollar is deadly!I've been sucked into that situation myself. The worst case scenario involved a purchase at Ultra Diamonds :)
Li

11:20 AM, August 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home