Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

This is War

We interrupt our regularly planned blogging topic to post this Public Service Announcement. A couple weeks ago I came home from work and found wood chips on the deck, and wondered what MFB had been up to. Later that evening I noticed these holes in the support beams of the roof over the deck. Then over the weekend I heard someone knocking outside and we saw this going to town on the support beam. Tonight we came home to another set of this pattern of holes.

We are now in the planning stages to end it's reign of tyranny. Yes I know we live out in the country, that's why we have mice, bats, rabbits, herons, hawks etc. We also have telephone poles, groves of trees and barn wood. But noooo, the woodpecker has to pick our house to either nest in or just be destructive. Woody the Woodpecker is now on my last nerve, and MFB has declared war. Sure he was all cute and fun when we were kids, but now I understand why he had that annoying cackle.

I'm a woman on the edge my friends. I keep telling myself there's no reason to resort to violence, I know there are other ways to get rid of pests. Let's just hope that we can get rid of the little ph before it brings down the roof.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Our woodpeckers are a bit more polite and go to town on the trees. But here's a question for ya -- why do woodpeckers peck? Is it to get bugs? If so, it wouldn't seem smart for it to peck something without bugs. Have you checked for termites?

*of course, I have no clue to any of this, so don't panic needlessly*

12:04 AM, August 01, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

I love the tag you've used! :)

No wood decks here so I'm just happy to watch the occasionally ph in the woods.

12:07 AM, August 01, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

Wow, they've really been at it!

For what it's worth, I couldn't stand the Woody Woodpecker character when I was a kid ...

8:58 AM, August 01, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Eeep! So not cool! I hope you figure out what the problem is with this little dude and get him a new place for breakfast!

Jessica

9:11 AM, August 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they declared war first, or eminent domain. Go, Barb!

Got any ideas to get rid of the air raid siren - I mean, tree frog in my front yard? The neighbors won't let me napalm it.

1:43 PM, August 01, 2007  
Blogger fluffbuff said...

Ouch! Good luck with getting rid of the woodpecker.
Strangely, I saw a woodpecker on our deck yesterday just before reading your post. We are not worried because the deck needs to come down anyway, but I never thought of woodpeckers attacking houses.

3:47 PM, August 01, 2007  
Blogger Martina said...

OMG! Who'd a thunk! I hope you find a solution!

10:50 PM, August 01, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

So not funny! We have birds nests in the eaves of our house, 3 to be exact, but their trees were taken out by hurricane Wilma. Since WPs sometimes search for food that way, you may want to have a termite inspection, just in case that's why they chose your place.

11:00 AM, August 02, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh no...! I can sympathize how annoying it is - I had a squirrel trying to dig itself into the roof - only he was doing this from inside the gutter. Non. Stop. Obviously didn't get the message that scraping the metal would NOT get him where he wanted to go...

*sigh*

6:14 AM, August 03, 2007  
Blogger emilyelizabeth said...

Oh that's terrible! I hope you get rid of him. It could be worse though....it could be moths. Eek!

3:56 PM, August 05, 2007  
Blogger A South Park Republican said...

Argh! I had a similar experience with a *&^%! woodpecker pecking at the shingles on my house. Needless to say I was NOT pleased. I could hear him pecking away when I was inside and I would bang on the nearest wall and scream "STOP IT!" Eventually he disappeared and I patched the holes. Thankfully, I have not seen or heard form him since.

4:15 PM, August 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home