Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

First Pair for Summer of Socks 2007!

I am so excited to have finished my Monkey Socks! As the post title says, this is my first pair for Summer of Socks 2007, she says like she may be able to finish a second pair. I started these around June 26 and finished them August 15. I love these socks, the pattern, the yarn, the color and the feel. I did make one modification - I added 8 stitches and divided them by 2 stitches per pattern repeat. I've never modified a pattern before, so I was excited that logic worked. This is Tess' Designs Supersock and Baby in the Peach Melba colorway.

New project, deep breath, teaching myself to knit two socks at a time on two circulars. I purchased two Addi Turbo circular US 2 24" needles at my LYS and cast on last night. Starting this at 9:00pm last night was not a good idea. You know the saying, read all the instructions before starting? Why would I do that?! So - ripped back out this evening and will start over.

I joined the Tofutsies Sock Club a couple months ago and have already received two of their limited edition colors and three patterns. I'm actually going to use the first ball of yarn I picked up at Maryland Sheep and Wool and I'm doing the Wild Kat pattern.

I received my Ravelry invite a couple weeks ago and as a couple of my friends here have said, it is the black hole of time! LOL The database is fantastic - it's such a great search engine. If I haven't found you yet and you're there, let me know.

Keep kind thoughts for me will you? I don't know how this circular needle sock knitting thing will go. After I ripped out this evening I discovered I had the needles around my neck, not like a noose YET, but like a necklace.

Woodpecker update: MFB put cheap pinwheels up. The next morning - you guessed it - the little ph is back. MFB then put up a magnifying makeup mirror and covered up the holes with galvinized steel. (poor embarrassed porch) Since then we haven't seen any new damage, but - the roof is low and MFB is tall. He had to move the makeup mirror over about a foot - he forgot it was there *giggle* Keep your fingers crossed!

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I've gotta tell ya - I found knitting 2 socks at one time really difficult. It was so annoying to have 2 balls of yarn going - I felt tangled all the time.

Good idea on the mirror for the woodpecker patrol.

10:11 PM, August 16, 2007  
Blogger Charity said...

That little ph sure caused a lot of trouble, eh?

Love the Monkeys! They look great!

10:11 PM, August 16, 2007  
Blogger Martina said...

Nice Monkey SOcks! You are way ahead of me!

7:36 AM, August 17, 2007  
Blogger fluffbuff said...

Good luck with learning to knit two socks on one circular! I am still knitting one sock on two circulars and probably always will.

9:58 AM, August 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You finished your Monkeys! Awesome. They look fab.

I want to do the two socks at once too. One of these days. It's my only hope, not that I'm finishing one, much less a pair lately.

Aw. A darling woodpecker. Doesn't he have a tree to peck? Silly bird.

6:28 PM, August 17, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Your Monkees are great! I can't to start a pair! I always start late at night too, not good. Keep "decorating" your house like that, and you'll be rid of those woodpeckers, but you may attract the mountainfolk ;)

7:24 PM, August 18, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

2 socks at once?! I can barely keep up with one... And I haven't even been able to manage one on circs either! *sigh*

Mmmm...Peach Melba... looks fabulous!

6:41 AM, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Hey there--love the socks. I knit the pomatomus on two circs. Keep at it...do you have Cat Bordhi's book--its really good at explaining how to do it and how to convert patterns written for 4 needles. YOU can do it...I just did the heel turn and gusset pick up on two circs...while listening to a thriller on my Ipod and sitting on my porch in a rainstorm at 1am in the morning...that seems to be the only time I get.

9:18 AM, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Yay the new socks look great!! :) I really love that yarn too. Good luck with the two at once technique. It can be really cool when you get the hang of it.

Jessica

9:34 AM, August 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay on the socks.

Love the porch decorations. *snicker*

1:20 PM, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the monkeys! congrats on mastering the two socks method - I just hate detangling the yarn! Oh, and I'm amazed too that August is almost over. Summer went by so fast and I didn't knit many of those tops I intended. Oh well. Next year, I guess.

12:13 PM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger JakkiMitch said...

One of your TOFUtsies looks like what I'm using at the moment - #790. The photos on my blog are a bit off colorwise.

[An AVS fan - who's heading to CO tomorrow - gotta go pack!]

10:43 AM, August 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home