Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Story of Three ... Conclusion

This all started the other day when I said I'm haunted by the number three.

My cell phone was almost three years old. Battery needed to be recharged almost every day, the face of it had a big crack, and it was heavy and bulky. The cost of a new battery was about half the cost of a new phone so I started researching phones. I found one that was perfect, MP3 player, 2 megapixel camera, the new 3G network so it would be fast when I decide to add a data plan once hockey season starts. After leaving Colonial Yarn MFB and I met up at the cell phone store and I showed him what I had decided on. MFB knows a lot more about electronic items than I do as I'm more interested in fiber, so I generally defer to his recommendation. This being said, I was all excited to show him what I found and proud of my research. He hadn't made a decision on the new phone he wanted but we went ahead and purchased the new one I wanted. He talked me into getting the flashy red model. I went to work getting to know the phone.

The next day I discover there is no voice activated dial which I assumed was standard as it was on the old phone. We confirmed that the phone I bought could be returned within 30 days - and the saleslady asked if we still had the box, because if we returned the phone without the box, we would be charged a $25 packaging fee. We were glad she mentioned that as the box was sitting in the trash. So, back to the drawing board. Two days later I returned phone #2 for phone #3. #3 is not flashy red and the camera is a 1.5 megapixel, but I really like this one.

Moving on now, MFB and I have done a lot of renovating of our 125 year old home. We found some kitchen taps over the 4th of July weekend we both liked but I had to talk him into purchasing as they're a little modern for our house but a very clean design. We bought them from his favorite toy store, but it happens to be about an hour away from home. The next day he has the water turned off and the old taps out then opens the box and there is this scratch on the plate. This is a good brand name and was pricey enough to perturb us. He went ahead and installed this and we thought we'd live with it. The taps didn't work right from the beginning, dripped just bad enough. Two weeks later we bought set #3, installed it then returned set #2.

You're still here? Well then I am going to show you the other yarn I picked up at the Colonial Yarn Shop in Shiremanstown. This is Claudia Hand Paints in the Red Wagon colorway. It reminds me of watermelon. 100% Merino Fingering Weight 175 yards/50 grams. I haven't decided which sock pattern yet.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Martina said...

Phew! I do hope that 3's are taking a rest in your life! I need one after that!!!

7:21 AM, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

I would suggest that you don't use the yarn for any patterns with 3-stitch repeats ...

8:37 AM, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Good Grief! Wouldn't it be nice to purchase something once and have it work out as planned? I'm not much of a returner so I'd have been in real trouble.

9:27 AM, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Geez. It seems like the world just doesn't want you to get something done the *first* time, does it?

The new yarn is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you make!

Jessica

9:39 AM, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Charity said...

Well, by the end of all that, you're happy, right? So it's all good! :0)

The new yarn is beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

10:42 AM, August 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be glad this isn't the story of 5. heheheh

12:05 PM, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

I hate returning things! Hopefully, this will be the end of it. Or maybe, three good things to happen!

2:34 PM, August 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good gravy! I think I'd stop buying anything but yarn for awhile. Of course this would have left you without a working car, a cellphone or running water....but details.

5:15 PM, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh, that's so disappointing! Grrrr...

But, you have that lovely Red Wagon colourway to cheer you up! Wow, that's a great colourway.

7:42 AM, August 13, 2007  
Blogger A South Park Republican said...

Maybe you should have bought 3 skeins of Red Wagon, you know, just for karma's sake! Knee socks?

8:35 AM, August 13, 2007  
Blogger Peri said...

Love that yarn colorway! Neat-o color combinations. :-)

Hey -- car, phone, taps (which I cannot place in a kitchen ... I was thinking water line tap, as in from the borough pipeline or something, so I have no idea what those are). Sounds like the threes have completed their cycle.

... let's hope! :-)

7:10 AM, August 16, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

seems like it's impossible to nail things the first time these days. At least you were dealing with a reputable car wholesaler, right? otherwise, everything else would have paled in comparison. It's stuff like this that just drains my energy...

12:44 PM, August 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home