Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Story of Three - Part 1

This is the story of three, or as MFB refers to it, The tale of Two Volvos.

The Volvo S80 we've had for the last four years reached about 160,000 miles and we were considering replacing it after we replaced the mass air fuel sensor for the second time. The discussions became more frequent after we discovered the oil leak it had was the master seal. Then one day I said, the car smells of gasoline, and he said no it's oil. Really, it smelled like gasoline. We contacted a wholesaler we met at the car show a couple months ago and started shopping. We spent a couple of weeks of test driving. One car with twin turbos that he loved and I - not so much. I love speed and performance but thought this might be a little too fast, and wasn't fond of the body style. I almost changed my mind when I saw these really cool cubbies in the front doors that were perfect for storing traveling knitting projects. But I can't buy a car simply because I could hide stash in it, right? RIGHT?

What we bought was a 3 year old Volvo S80 with a low pressure turbo. Fast, extremely comfortable, and enough after market goodies to keep you know who busy on the weekends for the rest of the summer. I actually wasn't with him for the test drive or purchase as I was out of town on a business trip. It came home with him on a Wednesday night. I got home on Thursday night, and Friday after work we take it to Grove City. It was comfortable and roomy, just what we were looking for.

On Monday I drive it for the first time and as I leave work to head home, the check engine light comes on. MFB drives the car, and the light goes out. After some work at a dealer we take it back to the wholesaler. He calls us two days later and the problem is going to require surgery that may take two weeks. In the same breath, the wholesaler tells us that they have another car which is almost an exact twin to the one now in the operating room. They offer to take the car they sold us back and to sell us this twin as a straight across trade. They did everything they could to make the situation right and we are very happy with the 2nd new car. The customer service this wholesaler showed us is something one doesn't always see these days, and now we see why customers from all over the Eastern states travel to buy vehicles from them. That's my story of three Volvos in a month.

I didn't mention it but the wholesaler is almost two hours away in Manheim, near Harrisburg. The day we went to pick up Volvo #3, we drove MFB's Stratus and I took my knitting with me - naturally. While he was swapping out the XM radio for the second time, I sat in the wholesalers office knitting. All of a sudden, MFB said "didn't you want to go find that yarn store on the West Shore? Why don't you head out?" So head out I did, after finding out that Volvo #1 did indeed have a fuel line leak along with the oil leak - Hah!

I needed a GPS to find this yarn store and of course I didn't have one. I called the yarn store, she gave perfect directions but do you think I could follow them? I drove past the exit by a good 10 miles, and ended up calling the store 3 times. These are the times where I wonder where I would be without my cell phone. I finally arrived at The Colonial Yarn Shop in Shiremanstown and came home with a couple of yarns that I can't find at my LYS's. Here's a skein of Colinette Jitterbug in the Jay colorway. It has a sock pattern on the label but I haven't looked closely to see what it is.

The Story of Three to be continued.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I'm currently singing the car trouble blues so this better have a happy ending. Just sayin'

10:46 PM, August 07, 2007  
Blogger Martina said...

What were ou driving to get there? Volvo 1, 2 or 3? I hope #3 has a GPS!!

7:22 AM, August 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a better woman that I, because I would totally buy a car for it's stash capabilities.

I turned up my nose at the GPS for the longest time and now that it finds me yarn stores, I love it!

Pretty Jitterbug! New yarn and new(ish)car, that's pretty good.

8:50 AM, August 08, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

I always think that I could live without a car ... until I have to for some reason!

9:02 AM, August 08, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Jeeze, when you do it up, you go all out, no? A car gone wrong with a yarn shop ending! I do hope it gets better...

11:02 PM, August 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love a man who tells you to find a yarn store.

12:12 AM, August 09, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Pretty yarn! I fear what this multi-part story entails though....

Jessica

9:47 AM, August 09, 2007  
Blogger Kathleen said...

LOve the sock yarn! I just bought more sock yarn--a limited edition Lorna's Laces...I'll post a photo...maybe I should do the monkey pattern--is it easier than the freaking Pomatomus sock??

11:31 AM, August 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home