Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sock Knitting Plan D

I finished the second sock and started the first sock for the second time. I've finished the toe and am working up the foot and yes, the colors are pooling in a like fashion to the one I just finished. Pictures tomorrow maybe.

Here's the problem, you knew there'd be a problem, right? I mean it's me after all so of course it can't just be simple and work correctly. See I'm unhappy about how the top of the cuff fits. It's too tight. I think I either didn't cast off loose enough or didn't cast off correctly.

I think this is due to my grandiose scheme of teaching myself how to knit socks. I'm thinking there's a reason why classes are offered and smart knitters pay smart sock knitters to teach them. What I think I'm teaching myself rather than sock knitting is new swear words. Who knew that when you combine words like "pattern", "yarn", or "needles" with other words like stupid @$$ those three words become very satisfying swear words. I can even swear in Canadian (you follow up the swear word with EH? - sorry poor joke and yet it cracks me up).*

Why is it that AFTER I discover I'm not as smart as I think I am is when I go and look for advice here.?

So here's plan B, no sorry I think I'm onto plan D by now. I'm going to finish the first sock the second time up to the ribbing, try the second sock on and see if I need to add stitches to the width of the ribbing and or maybe go up a needle size and then do the video tutorial for what I hope to be the proper cast off. If that works on the first sock the second time (please let it work), then I will rip the second sock back to the start of the cuff and do the same.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I wanted to teach myself lace knitting. It's only things like YO's, Sl1, K2tog, PSSO, knit through back loops and front loops, blocking. What's so hard about that? Everything, that's what's so hard about that, absolutely everything, and if I don't want to be teaching myself new swear words, I'm going to have to sign up for a class.

If you see a post in the future where I forget all about this humbling self taught sock knitting expierence, and start throwing the words around about teaching my self lace knitting, please remind me about this post and tell me to see above. Please.

*No offense was meant to Canadians or the Canadian language.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

&^%*#, eh? *LOL*

12:35 AM, June 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, well - plan D is actually sounding great and it'll work out, just wait and knit and see! We knitters all have to go through trial and error, and perhaps that's why we're all swearing so heavily! If you're afraid to bother someone with swearing, perhaps you should try it in another language? :) I'm usually swearing in english (and fluent Canadian, I might add) over here and hardly any Austrian understands me - so in my blog I might start swearing in Austrian language, so the ladies reading it won't be bothered? Yo, eh? :)

2:42 AM, June 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home