Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Take my Orange Day Lilies, please

I love seeing these in the ditch along the side of the road or other people's yards. But once they stop blooming, in my yard they look like Thing from the Adams Family. So last summer I ripped out a garden full of these "ditch" Lilies but couldn't get them all out because of a chain link fence, rock wall and boardwalk. In an earlier post I wrote about how I came home from work on a Saturday and discovered, to my joy, MFB had removed the chain link fence. Now a month or so later, see that? Three feet high and looking like Thing again. See there on both sides of the steps? ARGGGHH I have, and love, a small yard and these just overpower it. Now granted the only curb appeal we have right now is hard scape, because our efforts have been on the interior, but still these things look like they want to attack me every time I leave or come home. I hate to tear up plants, but you know as soon as they stop blooming they'll be out. I hope to gift some coworkers with these.

On to my backyard and I have six lovely peonies plants, the flowers are this beautiful pink. But here is something that frustrates me (I should have started this post with I was cutting the grass today and rather than listening to a book on tape was contemplating Landscapers Challenge Chez Accident Prone) you see those plants under the beautiful shade tree? Those are the peonies plants staggered through the weeds? jungle? lawn. I'm a firm believer that you have a garden and you have a yard. What we have here is obstacle lawn mowing. One of these days we'll rent a roto tiller and put in some garden beds.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH yes, garden beds solve many problems. And look better. And are easier to take care of. And prevent accidental peony mowing, and peony whacking.

6:11 PM, June 17, 2006  
Blogger Michele said...

I am actually a fan of the large, bushy shape of the lily plant... Too bad I don't live closer, I'd take them off your hands. :)

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Here's the actual link to the round dishcloth you mentioned. I like this pattern very much, too.

http://www.knittingknonsense.com/lacyround.html
Its a free pattern, so its fine for me to post. Enjoy!

1:27 PM, June 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our yard is so shaded nothing grows -- not even grass in most places in the back. I'd kill for unruly flowers.

1:33 PM, June 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, these flowers are so gorgeous, I hardly can believe they're going to look like Thing :) Your yard seems to be a pretty huge one, and well, the negative aspect with something as big must be the work - it's neverending, once you've weeded through one part, it's almost time to start right there again. But I really adore it as it is shown on your pics, I can't stand those neat-o lawns where every grass has its special place and one doesn't even dare walking over it - your lawn isn't chaotic at all, but it looks like nature should look: Beautiful and natural!

2:50 AM, June 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home