Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Kicked to the curb

My second ball of the Merino Wool was the same as the first. It is now residing in a container that will be placed by the curb on Monday morning. Sigh, I never thought I would kick merino wool to the curb. Neither LYS carries the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino the pattern calls for, but one has a silk wool blend called Zephyr they recommend so I'll be stopping in on the weekend to buy take a look and make an informed decision.

I made it to the other LYS (when I say Local that's a relative term - this one is 35 miles from home and about 5 miles from work, while the other is 8 miles from home and on my way home from work but I generally can't make it there by their 5:00pm closing time) and they were terrific about the snapped dpn. They gave me a whole new set; of course I had a sock on the needles so I had to do a quick needle swap. I saw a few things there that might work for the gloves but I want to take a look at the Zephyr first.

Thanks to commenter Ava, she posted a link in the comments about doing cables without a cable needle. I took a look and I think I'll have to give it a try. If you haven't visited her site go take a look, she has some beautiful finished projects.

A small feed lot that MFB and I pass on our daily commute has some baby pigs! They are totally cute and the first time I saw them they were playing, chasing each other and jumping around just like puppies do.

I'm almost embarrassed to say this but I've started watching Gene Simmons Family Jewels on A&E. This is one funny show with Gene Simmons big tough demon rock star persona in public and dealing with his family who seem to try to keep him down to earth. The look on his face when he finds a KISS t-shirt in a vintage clothing store and the price tag is $2.00 is priceless.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely try it without a cable needle. Except for cables larger than 6 stitches and ones that have a weird combination of twists, I never touch a cable needle. It's really much easier and faster to me than fiddling with a cable needle.

11:00 PM, August 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to read about the yarn - but if it was so strange, then it sure wasn't worth it. But you can do the Fetchings with any yarn you'd like to have on your hands, the pattern works with every yarn and as you need so little of it, it's a perfect way to use up some left over yarn you might have lying around.
Cabling without a cable needle is definitely worth a try, you know my problems with cabling, but with this version I'm having a much easier time. But: My tension is pretty tight most of the time, so with certain yarns this cabling version doesn't work for me, I can't seem to be able to pull the needle into the stitches from behind or front as I'm supposed to. If this happens to you too, then you'd have an easier time with the cable needle - but as I said, it's only happening with certain yarns, with others it's perfect and easy without the extra needle! Did I make any sense here? Oy!

4:09 AM, August 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home