Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Reinforcement of my folly

This will teach me to scoff at Friday the 13th. No physical injuries were suffered during the realization that yes my knitting is riddled with accidents, just an injury to my psyche.

A shout out to my friend Twig who has helped me to see the folly of my ways. Here's the scenario:

So I'm reading Twig's post today about having an issue with her My So Called Scarf pattern and I offered maybe I could give her a hand since I was enjoying it and received some compliments from my friends at the knitting group. Twig took me up on the offer and sent me an email asking does such and such on the pattern mean such and such.

"Hmmm", I think, "no that's not how I do it". This is what my interpretation of the directions were and I typed them out really nicely, ask her she'll tell you how step by step they were - right Twig?

Well then after that I read her question again and start thinking, "wait a minute". I pull the pattern out and actually read it. Yes Twig was right and I was again, wrong.

Heavy sigh. Take into account that I am making two separate scarves with this pattern and one is at least 10 or 11 inches long. The good thing is even though I've done it wrong it looks like the pattern is turning out right but I think it's why the scarf looks like it is going on the bias.

To frog or not to frog, that is the question. Whether or not I'm a putz is pretty obvious, eh?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing that matters is: do you like the way it's turning out? If you do, then keep going. :)

9:59 PM, October 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*giggle* Please don't frog or I'll never hear the end of it.

10:36 PM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

I say if you are making fabric you are doing something right. Now, if you don't want it to bias, that may be another story.

Jessica

6:32 AM, October 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy accidents! If it looks good, no worries.

10:43 PM, October 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy ;) But anyhoo, I'd say: Don't frog it! It's not at all important if you're knitting along with the instructions, it is only important whether you like the result or not! If you do, you could actually write down what you did differently and thus end up having a new pattern - and woosh, you'll be a pattern designer! That's how it works - you see, every pattern has been here before in the past century, everything a designer writes down as new has been similarly written down before some day. But everyone does something differently, changes something, adds something here and leaves something out there, and that's what makes for a new design then. There's no "right" or "wrong" in knitting, I think - if it looks good, it is good!

4:48 AM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger Kim said...

The scarf looks nice so I would not frog if I was you. Make the next one according to the pattern and wala! a "new" design.

Did your new bag arrive yet? Can't wait to see it. I broke down and ordered a "sock bug" and it arrived today. I really needed a pick-me-up and the cheery colors and cute bug face provided it for me.

4:42 PM, October 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completly agree with Carrie K. :) That and the thought of frogging 10 inches hurts my brain!

6:06 PM, October 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home