Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Necessity Knitting

I so need some new dishcloths and luckily had some Sugar and Cream yarn so yesterday I cast on about 25 stitches and just started making it up as I went along on the recommended size 7 needles doing my version of a slip stitch pattern inside a garter stitch border. The downside is I can't even knit a dishcloth without having to rip it out. The first time I forgot that my straight knitting needles are metric sizes rather than US and so started on 7mm needles which are around 10 1/2 US. Into the frog pond that went. Then I remembered that I had a pattern on my wish list and this is what I have so far. There's a small error in this and I don't know if I have enough of this colorway but I do have some solid color beige that I can use to finish if I run out. I wouldn't normally be this haphazard about something but as it's for me and a matter of necessity I figure this is what using up leftovers is all about. I feel a trip to Michael's during the work week for some Peaches and Cream I hear they have and then make a quick stash of dishcloths.

I finished one of the Pomatomous Socks and cast on the second. In order to get these puppies to come close to matching I had to waste almost a whole color pattern repeat. I just weighed the yarn with my food scale, which is not a minutiae scale by any means but I think I'll be ok for the yardage.

I was at the bookstore the other day and picked up a book that I think will help a great deal. The internet has been a great resource for terminology and "how to" but there are times when I can't access the computer for help. This book has already come in handy. One of these days I'll be able to do the kitchener stitch from memory. If any one is looking for a book with lots of nicely illustrated instructions I highly recommend this.

In laws are here for a visit. They brought four tins of Timmy's coffee and two packages of peameal bacon. Good stuff and the coffee has to last us until our next trip up north which will probably be around Christmas. MFB and FIL have been working with power tools the whole time they've been here including building new outdoor steps down to the cellar door and built a new cellar door. The opening for the cellar has really odd dimensions so they sandwiched insulation between thick sheets of plywood and installed a deadbolt. What we had before was basically a piece of broken plywood that was being held shut with a nail. We're now insulated and secure. The only thing needed now is a coat of paint.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way the socks are turning out.

What a great dishcloth pattern. My to do list keeps getting longer and longer.

3:34 PM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Martina said...

Mmmmm....Timmy's! Love the socks!

5:48 PM, September 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're speeding along on the Pomatomous, they look great! Clever getting the color striping to match.

9:35 AM, September 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, this dishcloth looks amazing, so elegant! I once tried my hands at a round one, but it went to the frog pond quicker than I'd cast it on, I messed it up completely ;=) Yours is great, and so are the Pom's, I'm still amazed by how well the pattern comes out with that yarn!

10:52 AM, September 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look great--do you think I love the pattern! I am going to post a few new project ideas--get everyone's opinion on the next one--can't wait to see the finished socks. (my husband also from Colorado--Canon City)

8:47 AM, September 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ....

The socks turned out really well. I may have to give that pattern a try one day. All I need is time.

Your dishcloth is too pretty for a dishcloth!

Timmy's coffee... how great is that? The only thing better is Timmy's coffee and some Timbits!

6:34 PM, September 26, 2006  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

The socks and the dishcloth are both so pretty! I hope you get the cloth worked out. Doesn't that whole taking out a repeat thing make you nervous? It almost made me twitch the first time I did it!

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

8:08 PM, September 28, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

Ok...so here I sit looking at a page thats telling me what peameal bacon is...sounds YUM>>>>>> How is your so called scarf coming along...I SO want to order some Manos in the "Bramble" colorway to try this pattern...i'm TRYING to hold off....but I'm feeling weak...HELP....have a great day....

12:10 PM, October 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home