Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years After

The most devastating attack against freedom that has occurred in my lifetime. I remember where I was the morning of September 11 2001. My husband told me over the phone about the first plane flying into the First Tower. While we were on the phone the second plane flew into the Second Tower. I said "this can't be an accident". Steve said "no, it's terrorism." We said goodbye as he was a News Reporter and Sports Director at Radio Pennsylvania which meant he was going to be busy. I went and told a couple of co workers what happened and went back to my desk to try and get some work done.

Shortly afterwards, Steve called and said he was heading off to Shanksville, PA where United Flight 93 went down.

Steve was gone a couple of days and was dealing with reporting on the tragedy that terrorism brought to freedom loving people everywhere. I was dealing with the same thing that most of us dealt with. Shock, anger, frustration, immense grief and helplessness. As a retired cop I also felt the pull of the brotherhood of fellow police officers, firemen and other first responders who lost their lives doing what they were trained to do - keep the public safe.

It is five years later and our lives have gone on as they were meant to. We've grown, we've learned, we've healed and we will continue to do so.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. It's unbelievable that it's five years already, for me it still feels as if it was yesterday...

5:54 AM, September 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The time has gone by very quickly. We must always remember and learn.

11:53 AM, September 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home