Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Adventures in Felting

I did it, I finally weaved in all the ends on my Huggable Hedgehog from Fiber Trends and made my way to the washer for felting duty. I've never felted before but knowing that I have a good washing machine there should be no problems. I selected Regular, Hot water, (picture shows current load not Mr. Hedgie) Low water level and tossed Mr. Hedgie into a zippered pillow case and ensured hot water was going into the tub. Five minutes after agitation commenced I took out the pillow case and that water was COOL. OK I didn't have my new glasses on when I set this, but I FELT hot water filling the tub. So I drained the cool water out and MFB came to make sure I was pushing the right buttons and he is a witness to the hot water flowing into the tub. Five minutes later, Cool water again. This happened a couple of times.

So we turn the cold water supply to the machine off. Logical, no? A couple minutes later in the middle of the hot water wash it starts a new beeping sound and the cold water light starts flashing. We now have two reasonably sane people trying to have a rational conversation with a washing machine about the logic be it human or computer of Hot water not standing for Cold. I go to the manufacturer's website and find the phone number for Customer Service. I know it's a holiday here in the States but this is a New Zealand company and they answered on the second ring. The very nice New Zealand sounding man on the phone said "Oh, you want a traditional hot water wash then." Apparently the logic of our washer is that it starts with hot water but then cools off. We had to program the Favorite button on the washer so that it's only hot water. Imagine that.

So here's Mr. Hedgie felted, temporarily stuffed and drying. The only problem I have is that the back where I carried the fun fur along with the wool hardly felted at all. Maybe that's normal? If any of you have hung in this post long enough to get to this point and have any insight I'd sure appreciate your feedback. I want to embroider his nose and eyes if I can get a needle through the felt. Molly at my LYS said to "Felt the Crap" out of this and not knowing the exact definition of it in this vernacular I think I surpassed the crap level on the body in an effort to get the back of him to felt. When rinsing Mr. Hedgie I discovered that one of the paws almost felted shut. Busting through the fibers to get it open again was a bit of work. If I find it too difficult to embroider then I'll have to purchase the eyes and nose. This picture doesn't accurately show his cuteness quotient.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's adorable!

And silly you for not knowing that a "hot" wash was really cool. heheheh

When it spins, does it spin counterclockwise? Inquiring minds want to know.

5:30 PM, September 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, he's cute alright. And he'll be adorable with eyes and nose. :)

6:55 PM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Too cute! :) I'd say it worked out fine since he seems to have the right body shape. Isn't felting fun? :)

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

7:19 PM, September 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Hedgie look fantastic! So freaking cute!

9:11 PM, September 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we never cease to learn, do we? Interesting though to hear about your washing machine, ours is pretty new too, so if I'll ever run into similar problems when I'll try felting, I now know the reasons! Thanks! ;)
I so love your hedgehog, he's totally adorable! Having never felted before, I'm sorry that I can't help you with the fun-fur thing - but there's certainly big differences in yarns considering their ability to felt - some work better, some not at all.

4:13 AM, September 06, 2006  
Blogger Joanne M said...

We were felting twins! I was felting for my first time on Labour Day as well... and I'm right there with you, sista - I LOVED it.

The fringey / eyelash yarn for the back of the hedgehog is synthetic right? That doesn't or isn't supposed to felt, is it? It looks perfect the way it is - super adorable.

9:53 PM, September 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, it probably didn't felt under the fun fur the same as it did other places because the hot water and the aggitation (or is it agitation? nah, 2 g's look better) didn't have as much contact where the wool was covered by the novelty yarn.

No clue how to overcome that. But the good news is probably no one else will ever notice.

2:54 AM, September 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on second thought one g looks better. *sigh* I don't know and it's too late to think.

2:55 AM, September 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awe!!!! I'm so glad you got around to felting this. It's so cute!

9:52 PM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger Peri said...

I looooove Hedgie! I want to place orders! Are you taking any? :-)

9:07 AM, September 09, 2006  
Blogger Lene said...

Cute and adorable Hedgehog!

3:02 AM, September 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home