Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Kitchen....and what it's for

Or....The Stove and how to use it

MFB and I work in a university town so when I say there are a few pizza places I'm sure you know that's an understatement. Even so, we decided to be adventurous and picked up a "It's Not Delivery" pizza on Friday as we knew we would be painting (yes still painting and it's trim...lots and lots of trim...we will never be finished with the pa - uh sorry) over the weekend and would want something easy to prepare.

So late Saturday afternoon we're debating over do we want the crispy crust (place directly on rack) or regular crust (place on cookie sheet). I love crispy crust and the oven is self cleaning so I say put it on the rack. We set the timer on the oven and go put our feet up and admire our progress in the Decade of Painting Dangerously. Before the timer goes off I remark "gee it smells like pizza" MFB say's "it smells like burning pizza". It's probably dripping on the oven element so no panic but we go right into the kitchen and open the oven. We get a face of smoke from the sauce and cheese on the element but the pizza itself is close to being burned. HUHHHH?? We wonder. MFB shuts the oven door while we grab the cookie sheet and a spatula and we open the oven door to get the pizza out and close the oven door again. Each time we open the oven door the convection fan turns off and when we close it the ... I'm sure the look on our faces was priceless when that registered. It's hard to eat nearly burned pizza when you're laughing at yourselves but we managed. BTW it's not half bad pizza.

On to some knitting news. In between painting myself the trim, watching the grass grow uncontrollably due to the rain over the last couple of weekends, and burning pizza I finished my first Feather and Fan Sock, sorry no picture yet and finishing one Fetching. I made this using a cable needle free cable technique that Ava suggested I check out. I think I was the guinea pig here. I didn't have too much trouble with it, the worst part was dealing with the nerves I got by seeing stitches hanging off the needle. If any of you haven't tried it and were wondering how it is, give it a try. I'm such a newbie to knitting that "if I can do it anyone can". I had some trouble around the thumb due to this being the first time I've used waste yarn in such a way that when I removed the waste yarn I had opposing live stitches. I must have inserted the needle in the unanchored stitches incorrectly because when I started knitting them they totally unraveled so I had to do a backward loop cast on to recover. It left a bit of a hole which I closed up with a couple of hand stitches. The other change I made was that I tried the picot bind off but found it too loose for my hands. I'm also not sure if I executed it correctly as it didn't look very neat. I'll have to practice that sometime.

What are your holiday weekend plans? MFB may possibly be traveling and I will be painting. I'll be staying away from the university town as it is move in week at Penn State and it's also the first home football game of the season for the Penn State Nittany Lions. I won't be cutting the grass again as this will be the third weekend in a row that we will have a significant amount of rain. Did I mention that I'll be painting?? Hope you and yours stay safe and happy on this busy weekend.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you call your husband on the phone when he was just outside and order a pizza and tell him to be snappy with it? *laugh* My favorite frozen pizza is Celeste. Super cheap & super yummy.

Fetching looks wonderful. (So are your rings) That is going on my list for sure.

9:56 PM, August 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fingerless glove is beautiful and I like the edge better this way than with a picot edge. I've been having trouble with picot edges myself lately. They look pretty, but they have no elasticity so I find their usefulness limited.

11:06 PM, August 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - I would have loved to see your faces standing in front of the oven! But the cleaning must have been quite some job, wasn't it?
Your Fetching looks - well, absolutely perfect, must be one of the most beautiful Fetchings I've ever seen! Same goes for your hands, and those lovely manicured nails - oy, getting a bit jealous over here! I'm afraid I'll never manage to have nice looking nails/fingers... Oh well... ;)

5:21 AM, August 31, 2006  
Blogger Deby said...

Oohh Barbara, I love this pattern. They look so pretty on your hand too! I went and copied it so I can make one. But I think I want to try to make one with sock yarn. I did gloves with sock yarn and they are great.
Once again, very nice knitting!

12:32 PM, August 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home