Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Progress on Pomatomus Socks

Summer is almost over and I am so not ready for Fall. I thought I was but after the week we've had here weather wise the Cabin Fever I generally suffer from in January or February has already become a concern for me. I'm from Colorado which is a state that has one of the highest number of days of sunshine a year and yet when I lived there the inevitable Cabin Fever would strike. By Cabin Fever I mean the feeling of "my leaves are turning brown and falling off due to lack of southern exposure". I need sunshine and fresh air but we have had a tremendous amount of rain over the last couple of months and so much fog in the morning that we had mushrooms growing in the yard. So on Sunday when I was able to drag myself out from under the fog that working extremely long hours (I'm sure you can relate to that) can bring to my brain, MFB and I hopped in the car In Search of Sunshine. We decided on New York State and about 20miles from home we were in sunshine, than the Pocono's, and about an hour later the George Washington Bridge. We headed north and found ourselves in West Chester County. We had fun exploring a beautiful part of the country I've never been.

Knitting group on Thursday was too much fun. I think next time I'm taking something I don't need to concentrate too much on a pattern. So much laughing, talking, sharing ideas yarn and the like, that I would knit a row, then tink back and had to do that a couple times. Even so here is my progress on my P socks. This is such a neat pattern to watch develop. I know that whenever I do a stitch pattern other than stockinette I'm saying how much I enjoy it, I guess it's because for so long all I was doing was stockinette or garter stitch. Here's something else I learned from this pattern, I enjoy working cuff down socks more than I thought. The first leg warmer sock I made, which is destined to be without it's mate, I hated picking up the stitches for the gusset. This sock is different, it seemed more methodical somehow. One of my knitting friends from the group is using the same yarn and colorway in a plain stockinette and the colors are subtly blending and warm, absolutely beautiful. Her yarn looks so different I didn't realize it was the same yarn.

MFB just left the house to go play mens hockey. The Penn State Icers Blue/White game is nine days away - the official start of the college hockey season for us as MFB broadcasts all their games so he'll be back on the road again. My MIL and FIL are arriving tomorrow for four days, bringing a supply of Tim Horton's and hopefully some peameal bacon as well as their wonderful company. Canadian Thanksgiving is about a month away and again I'm asking myself where has the year gone?

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you're really running with the P sock. it's looking good. I'm going to make another pair.

Have you thought about getting one of those lights that approximates sunlight?

10:56 PM, September 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn is really showing off the pattern. Lovely.

3:09 AM, September 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hockey! Hockey!!! That's basically the only thing saving me from freaking out completely in winter - I can so relate to your feelings of Cabin Fever as I get them regularly, full blast, too. And like you I seem to have gotten them way earlier this year - I think I'd have to do it like you did, go somewhere in search for sunshine! Great idea ;)
Your Poms are coming along so beautifully, the yarn you're using seems to be the perfect one for the pattern as it brings it out so well - it's beautiful!

3:36 AM, September 20, 2006  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

I'm with you on the needing sunshine front. I work in a basement with no windows and the winter means I get there before the sun is really up and I leave when it is already going down. It really sucks!

I absolutely LOVE how your P socks are coming out. Just so pretty!


Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

10:44 AM, September 23, 2006  
Blogger Deby said...

Oh my gosh! Those socks are absolutley gorgeous! Great color choice too.
wonderful work as always!

5:43 PM, September 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have never left CA! I wish I'd get cabin fever, there's way too much sunshine around here to suit me.

Your Pomatomus sock looks really good! The colorway is pretty the way the stripes sort of fade into one another.

9:33 PM, September 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home