Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

On a more positive note....

I went to my LYS yesterday for more shopping for the yarn for My So Called Scarf and the owner spent a good deal of time with me. We talked about how the Manos del Uruguay was a little itchy for me and asked her about the Mountain Colors. I decided on something I never would have thought of, Trekking XXL sock yarn in color 109 in variegated purples here is what I have so far. I'm carrying two threads together one from the inside and the other from the outside of the ball on size 5mm US 8 needles.

I was almost ready to leave when I saw a swatch of a very drapey delicate variegated yarn. Molly took me upstairs to her weaving yarn stash. OMG it's a candy store of everything fiber. Wools, rayons and I don't know what all on huge cones. Wish I'd had more time. This ended up being a weaver's industrial "put up" (I think that was the term she used) of rayon and it will shrink. Molly wound 1/4 pound into two balls for me and if I need more I know there's no problem. Here is what I have so far of this. Again I'm carrying two threads together, one from each ball but I'm using size 4 1/2 mm US 7 needles.

I'm thinking the Trekking scarf for cold weather and the rayon for the warmer weather or party wear. The rayon has such a beautiful sheen but I don't think it will be very warm.

This is a highly addictive stitch pattern. And it soothes my bruised knitter's pride after the dishcloth debacle.

Wishing you all a fantastic week of fine knitting weather.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the Trekking for this scarf. And my favorite color too! Isn't it fun to knit?

7:06 PM, October 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea using the Trekking. I never would have thought of that.

7:38 PM, October 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh! Both yarns you bought are so amazing - but I have to say I love the first one, the one in the different shades of purple, even a tad more - I loooove purple! This is going to become one heck of a cool scarf - and what a great idea to use the Trekking for it!

3:27 AM, October 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn is really pretty and I love the stitch pattern! Sounds like a nice LYS too.

1:39 PM, October 03, 2006  
Blogger Kim said...

Beautiful! What is the stitch pattern. I bet you were like a kid in the candy shop when you visited the second floor of Knitter's Underground. I still get amazed when I go upstairs. Trekking XXL is wonderful for scarves, etc. I am knitting a shawl from some I bought at Molly's shop.

7:50 PM, October 03, 2006  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Nice new yarn! I never would have thought of trekking for a scarf! Very cool! The stitch pattern looks really neat. :)

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

8:34 PM, October 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really fond of the herringbone/tweedy pattern style for the so-called-scarf. it seems to be becoming quite popular too! great colors.

9:53 AM, October 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb-you crack me up! Yeah, alot of those sweaters look great but only on the models shown--either that or you always have to stand a certain way for it to look good---I'll let you know what happesn.

3:26 PM, October 04, 2006  
Blogger Nik said...

I so love that scarf pattern. I started making one last year but ditched it because I was using skinny yarn and it took too long. I think i'm going to have to purchase some chunky yarn for this.

yet another reason to visit the LYS.

4:55 PM, October 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home