Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Socks on Circulars

I've spent a good deal of my time this week working on my projects in Ravelry. Talk about an organized database - it's great. I've found some neat patterns for some of my stash so I'm pretty excited. One of the many groups I've joined is Mid Penn Ravelers, where I've connected with a couple of local ladies and we plan on getting together this week at our local Starbucks. Should be fun.

I decided last week to try socks on circular needles when I found this tutorial and after a couple of false starts I'm now 3 1/2 pattern repeats into my Wild Kat Socks with Tofutsies. I like this technique as the lace pattern seems easier, when I'm not watching a movie, to remember. No second sock syndrome either. The Tofutsies isn't nearly as stretchy as the Tess Designs and it's a little splitty, but so far I like it.

A couple weeks ago MFB and I went to Pittsburgh for a getaway weekend. Our first stop in the city was scheduled to be Knit One. Well, when we went through all those cars a couple months ago we left the road atlas in one of them. So when MFB picked me up from work that Friday, he had a surprise for me. Meet our friend MIO, or as I sometime refer to him, @$$h()!e. I have wanted a GPS for several months now. I have, and have enlisted several of our friends to, harass MFB to the point that I have been almost hysterical with laughter over the need for one. Now what am I going to tease him about?! The instruction manual isn't real informative, but I was the passenger so I learned. The tunnels into Pittsburgh were closed for the weekend but I couldn't figure out how to get the thing to "avoid" steps in the route so it was pretty funny and the nickname was born.

We made it to Knit One and what a store. Very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable staff. The shop was spacious and airy and had a wonderful seating area with magazines, so after about 15mins of waiting for me in the car MFB came in and was quite comfortable. I went looking for yarn for the Second Wave Clapotis KAL. I came away with this from Autumn House Farm. This is Summer Silk, 50% Silk 50% Rayon, in the Rose colorway and I have 800 yards. Come join us there we start in September.

Can you believe August is almost over? I'm so not ready for Fall or Winter.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,

Go get Steve please. I'll wait. *taps foot* I'm still waiting. *taps foot*

There you are. Hi Steve. (Barb, go away. This is private.) (I see you over his shoulder.) (I can't see you but I can hear the giggling.)

Finally she's gone. Steve, you are a saint to deal with that insane woman and her posse of positively nutty friends who harrass you mercilessly while doing her bidding. A saint you are!

(Now hurry and delete this before Barb sees it, because I will deny to my death that I ever said any of this.)

11:21 PM, August 26, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Hee hee (above comment)!

Oh cool, you've joined the SW Clapotis KAL too!!! I love what you chose, a very lovely shade of pink...

Ugh, I have a friend who just got a new PDA toy complete with GPS - he's in love.

5:57 AM, August 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twig;

Saint does not do justice to what I put up with! ;-)

But then, she has to put up with some of my idiosyncrasies as well. But at least I do them on my own

Posse? I don't need no steenkin' posse! 8-D

8:33 AM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger Martina said...

Great looking shop! Bet you had fun in it!

9:39 AM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

The socks look absolutely AWESOME!! Go you!!! :)

And congrats on the GPS. 'Bout time that boy of yours listened to the masses. ;)

Jessica

9:44 AM, August 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Steve...last time I saw the guy he was on crutches...see what being married to Barb can do to a person?? LOL

Seriously, I envy you the weekend jaunts. Glad you had fun and shopping success.

At our meeting on Thursday you mentioned the Mid Penn Revelers but I'm not sure who they are. Please enlighten me. Missed you at the Grange Fair gathering yesterday.

11:25 AM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's going to be a nice looking Clapotis! I still haven't made one either, though I keep intending to. Glad to know that there's a second KAL. (I want a GPS too!!!)

12:07 PM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

The tunnels being closed in Pittsburgh can make it challenging even if you know your way around!

Glad you were able to find your way, since you ended up with yarn that is so pretty.

2:22 PM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

I still haven't knit with Tofutsies but I've felt the finished product and I bet you'll love them. They look great in progress btw.

12:22 PM, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn is gorgous! Pretty! Pretty!

What kind of GPS did you get? I've got a Garmin and I love his accent. There are a lot of Spanish place names hereabouts that the Australian mangles.

Two for the price of one! Go, Barb! V. Cool Socks.

7:20 PM, August 28, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Love your new Wild Kats! Must be fun to get the hang of that! I'm decting a pattern of pinks here...As the song goes, see you in September!

9:12 PM, August 28, 2007  
Blogger KnittingJones said...

I love the color! (wishing she could reach through the screen and snatch the skein away). I haven't made the leap to circulars, but avoiding the second sock syndrome is certainly an advantage.

11:46 AM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger A South Park Republican said...

How I love that Wild Kat lace bit! So pretty. I think the pattern almost makes up for the yarn.

I didn't know there was a Second Wave Clapotis KAL. Having missed the boat on the first one, I am so looking into this.

Enjoy the GPS. But just remember to make sure it spits out ALL of the directions before you start following 'em. Being 'accident prone' ya wouldn't want to turn 1500 feet early, into a wall. :)

1:37 PM, August 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely socks - and thanks for the link to the tutorial - my last try to knit 2 socks on 2 circs failed miserably, but perhaps with this tut it'll work? I'll certainly give it a try!
CM got himself a GPS too a while ago and after those 2x8 hours in the car to and from Italy I can honestly say that, if I hear that voice of it once again, I'll smash everything - the GPS, the car, CM - everything. Really. AAARGH!

3:58 AM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Peri said...

It took me a few days -- when you called on Monday to tell me to read all the fun posted here I was about an hour away from realizing I had a 48-hour flu -- but man, it was worth the wait! Twig, you're a hoot!!

7:35 PM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

Do I have some GPS stories to tell from our trip. You need a good sense of humour to trust the old GPS.

I just started on Ravelry this weekend. Yikes, seems like bit of work but worth it.

Beautiful socks!

Li

12:40 PM, September 02, 2007  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I finished my pomatomus!!! I started the Monkey socks--much easier I think...am using a beautiful limited edition hand-dyed Lorna's Laces...I'll post it soon. Where did you get the pattern you are doing now..I bought some tofutsies this summer...am still waiting on my Ravelry notice...heavy sigh.

10:34 AM, September 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home