Accident Prone Knitter

Here you will find musings about knitting, home renovation, travelling, sports and the myriad of things I delight in. "Out into the brimming, sun bathed world I sped"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Pennsylvania, United States

I've lived in California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Toronto and Pennsylvania. I'm a retired police officer, and I've worked in accounting and payroll related fields for the last several years.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Wild Kat progress

I'm home sick today - I don't do well with colds as I seldom get sick, but this one has ripped through the office like wildfire. One coworker last week, and two others this week - I thought I had enough anti bodies built up against my coworkers during the last two and half years but I was wrong. It's sure to be a beautiful weekend and here I am - a mess of a head cold. Heavy sigh! Luckily it's this weekend where I had no particular plans, rather than the next two weekends where we have cookouts and road trips.

So the bright side is maybe I can catch up with my friends blogs out here and show you what I've accomplished on my socks. I prefer to concentrate on the bright side so here we go.

I've turned the heel on the socks and am working on the gusset now - but - and it's a huge but MFB and friends who've seen me - no wise cracks please - I think I have to rip back to the gusset pick ups. Last night was my second get together with two local knitters I met on Ravelry and some of their friends. We've had a good time the last couple of weeks but last night my cold was developing and trying to remember the specific directions from the internet was confusing with the socializing. I spotted an error on one of the socks several pattern repeats back where instead of a SSK, I did a K2Tog and PSSO but I don't think it's going to cause a huge problem. This two socks at a time is cool - but the gusset decreases have to be done differently than what I'm used to and that is throwing me a bit.

I started this pattern with Addi Turbos and ordered some Knit Picks circulars for the portion of the pattern where you switch to smaller needles. I've read so much about both I thought I would give them a try. I'll be buying more Knit Picks. They are just as nice as the Addi and even with the shipping, are less expensive then the Addi. The tips are pointier as well and that is a plus with the Tofutsies yarn.

Last Saturday morning MFB and I decided to go to Harrisburg for the day for some odds and ends. That morning what should show up in the mail but my cell phone rebate - thank you very much. So of course I added a stop at Colonial Yarn Shop in Shiremanstown where I came home with some Cascade Superwash for my niece who visited the other week and asked for a Farrow Rib Scarf from The Little Box of Scarves and Fetching. The other is this lovely Lily Chin Gotham color 3399. It's 48% pima cotton and 52% merino wool. I plan to use it for the Gusset-Heel Gansey Sock. I think this yarn will really show off the stitches.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

Oh, yuck! I've had a cold, too, darn it. I hate being sick. I hope you recover quickly! :0)

6:30 PM, September 07, 2007  
Blogger Carol said...

Bless you! Just in case you sneeze when you read this ;) Like your new yarn! Yay rebates! I never knit anything that requires thought at knit nights! Surely mistakes will happen. Hope you feel better fast here's some virtual {chicken soup}

7:08 PM, September 07, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

Sorry to hear that you have a cold, but like you said, at least you didn't have specific plans.

The socks look great! I really like the yarn you are using, and your new yarn is really nice.

Take it easy, and feel better soon.

7:12 PM, September 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the gussets...if it isn't glaringly obvious and you have the correct number of stitches, I'd leave it.

Hope you feel better soon.

7:14 PM, September 07, 2007  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Hope you're feeling better by now! The socks are looking darn good. And I'm with twig, unless it's really crucial, don't mess with it. Getting all of that back on the needles could get *interesting*.

Jessica

2:11 PM, September 08, 2007  
Blogger Martina said...

Hope the cold passes quickly! Let me know what you think of the Lily Chin yarn. I have ordered some for the store and should have it in in a couple of weeks. I'm so glad that I met you too!!

5:47 PM, September 08, 2007  
Blogger Deby said...

Sorry to hear you feel so bad!
I hope it passes quickly.
I do love your new socks. Great color also! If theres a mistake, I cant see it!

8:48 PM, September 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy! I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having a cold lately - these head colds suck big time! I'm sending over lots of good thoughts and positive energies across the ocean and hope you'll be as good as new soon!
Ahhh, that's some goodie yarn that you got there, and I sure love how the sockies are coming along - the colors are just gorgeous!

3:44 AM, September 09, 2007  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh, boo on the head cold! But yay on your funky socks, they look great, and I'm still amazed someone thought of a method to knit 2 socks at once!

BTW - you're so going to love NOTL. If you can, try to catch the Ghost Walk of Fort George - it's even better than the one of the Niagara-on-the-Lake!

9:38 AM, September 09, 2007  
Blogger Kim said...

Hope you are feeling better by now and that those socks on circs are behaving themselves! See you Thursday at knitting group.

10:49 AM, September 09, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Hope you get to feeling better fast - I just seem to have allergies these days which are wicked bad with our lack of rain and all the dust around here.

Your socks look like you're motoring along. They'll be done before you know it. :)

12:59 PM, September 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home